Wednesday, March 24, 2010

In Trouble Again


Usually I'm pretty good about the things I bake. I can taste, have a piece or two, then be done. I might even have baked goods go stale and be tossed, just because there's such a glut of baked goods in my kitchen.

Every once in a while, though, I stumble upon something that's treacherous, something that's addictive, something I just can't walk away from. Then I know I'm in trouble. I know I need to get it out of the house pronto, before I gobble the entire batch!

Recently I found another such recipe. It seemed innocuous enough. Peanut butter cookies. With peanut butter chips. What could be so evil about that? Why do they sing to me from the cookie jar, like a siren luring my diet to its ruin?

These are deceptively simple. A rich, moist cookie base, studded with hits of extra peanut butter, with a crunchy, sugary shell. Horrible, horrible combination. Trust me. You want nothing to do with these cookies! But if you don't trust me and go ahead and bake them, don't say I didn't warn you. And if you need help getting rid of the rest of the cookies, call me.

Siren Peanut Butter Cookies
- adapted from The Hasketeers

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Chips
granulated sugar for dipping


1- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. with racks dividing the oven into thirds.

2- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter, brown sugar, peanut butter and egg together. Beat until creamy.

3- In a small bowl whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and blend together. Stir in the peanut butter chips.

4- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll them in granulated sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookie.

5- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack.

21 comments:

Fallon said...

haha we have the same baking mentality. Have a small bite or 2 of what we baked and then we are fine without eating the whole thing... But when something is too good to pass up, we can't stop eating it!! I'm glad I'm not the only one with this philosophy. lol

Katrina said...

Ditto what you said. I usually do pretty well, but there's certain things sometimes that I gotta get away from.
Pb cookies with extra pb chips--MMM!

The Blonde Duck said...

I have a freezer full of these. You don't have to tell me how addictive they are! I know all too well...

LyB said...

I think I'll steer clear, thanks for the warning! I'm not much of a PB fan in baked goods, but there's just something about a golden and crunchy PB cookie that I just can't resist!

grace said...

i haven't tasted peanut butter chips in ages and ages. in fact, i think the last thing i used them in was some plain ol' chocolate cookies. while that's a good combo, i think i might like peanut butter on top of peanut butter even more. i'll fight ya for 'em. :)

Julie said...

I need a cookie recipe for April Operation Baking Gals. I think this just may be it. That way I won't be tempted to eat them. Because unlike you, I have NO willpower.

Samantha Kate said...

I made a batch of peanut butter cookies last week, and wow. That's a sure way to gain a jillion pounds....

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES = YUM

Maria said...

I am sure these will be calling out to me too. I can't wait to try them!

Alisa said...

Oh my, that is just beautiful!I cant wait to try this.Your recipes are really good,I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is exciting nice! ;)

Dolce said...

To me, cookies are always exciting and always scream my name from the jar. especially when there is chocolate and or peanut butter involved...

Peabody said...

I will be nice and make these for my husband. But if become addicted I am showing up at your house with my WW bill.

Homemade Heaven said...

I hate those singing cookies, they are instruments of the devil! I wish we could get peanut butter chips here, I could live with a little temptation in my life now.

Allie said...

Ooh, those do look like particularly good pb cookies! Yum. How many does the recipe make roughly?

Anonymous said...

These are dangerous! I made them last night and they are GONE! {Eating them stright off the tray- OMG... HEAVEN!}
Thank you for sharing this instrument of the devil, it would be baked often in this house!!!

We Are Not Martha said...

YUM. I would be exactly the same way around these! I can't even handle myself around a jar of peanut butter. I just love it way tooo much!

Sues

Melinda said...

I think peanut butter is your Achilles heel.
Those biccies look confession extraction food.

NKP said...

OH my, they do sound addictive!

Anonymous said...

We will never learn our lesson about these dangerously deliciously simple things in life. Just like granola. They're simple, easy, yet beckon you into the kitchen everytime you walk past. I bet these cookies remind you of all the better times in life, and every bites brings the promise of something more. MMMM. I want.

Barbara said...

In that case, I am going to copy this recipe and file it. (I just went on the flat tummy diet!)

kickpleat said...

These do look insanely addictive!