Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back Into Rehab



I've been clean and off the stuff for almost 9 months now. It's not that I haven't felt the urge, it's just that when I do, I appeal to a higher power. When I even think about making the Killer Crack Peanut Butter Fudge, I ask my husband and he says, "Don't do it. You know you'll just eat it." Well, yes, he has a point. I would.

But slip ups come when you least expect them. I can be merrily baking along and something as innocent as leftovers can trip me up. For example, I was making a recipe that called for a tiny amount of evaporated milk. Which left me with almost a whole can of evaporated milk and the only thing I know that uses less than a can of evaporated milk is... uh oh.

Yes, I was flirting with danger to even have that thought in my head. It's said that the only way to get rid of a though is to replace it with another thought. So I thought of chocolate. Which lead me to chocolate fudge. Which I rationalized by saying that I could try the chocolate version of the KCPB Fudge and see if it was just as dangerous. Was I fooling anyone? I don't think so, but the higher power gave a green light, so I went ahead and made it.

Verdict: It's not as evil as the Killer Crack Peanut Butter Fudge. Even though it was smooth and creamy, with the occasional hit of walnut crunch, I could take just one piece and walk away. OK, so I walked back and took another piece, but that's it. Just two. Really. For now. It's not like I have to hoover the whole pan right away. So I think this could fall under the classification of "gateway fudge." You think you're safe to try just one piece. Maybe, maybe not. Do you really want to risk it?



Killer Crack Fudge's Less Evil Chocolate Cousin

3 cups sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1-7 oz jar marshmallow creme
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract


1- Butter a 9 x 13 inch pan. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan combine the sugar, evaporated milk and butter. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.

2- Reduce heat to medium and boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

3- Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, nuts, and vanilla, stirring till well combined. Pour the mixture into the buttered pan and let it cool to room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator till firm. Cut into 1-inch pieces.

26 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, oh Lynn, you "crack" me up (oh goodness, that was a bad pun - sorry, haha) with these rehab posts - looove that treat!

Scorps1027 said...

actually i think this might be more dangerous for me than the killer crack fudge. i'm more of a chocolate girl vs. pb. i love your bowl in that picture, btw!

Sophie said...

I love the velvety texture of this dessert, the peanut butter recipe does sound pretty addicting, too :)!

Anonymous said...

I am surprised there isn't a killer crack peanut butter and chocolate
fudge.
I think I would like this version one too. What is there not to like?

Thank you for the anniversary wishes!
We had a fantastic night out. x

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Ooo, I could see why this is a dangerous one...although peanut butter seems more dangerous. That wouldn't even make it to the fridge...

BugnLVoe said...

Mmm Fudge.

XOXO

Aimée said...

Lynn, I never thought I would say this, but you just might be a bad influence on me! You know I've experienced the effects of the Killer Crack Fudge before. I gotta try this now...

Elle said...

Looks nicely evil, especially if you love chocolate the way I do. Great photos, too!

Peabody said...

This is the fudge we have every year at Christmas. I only make it then or else I would be twice the size I am.

grace said...

my killer crack fudge would be made with butterscotch chips. the little suckers are sooo not properly butterscotch-flavored, but sooo utterly delicious. i must never make that. never.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I would never be strong enough near these beauties, Lynn. My goodness, they look irresistible!

Snooky doodle said...

i don t blame for giving up to this sweet temptation it looks so tempting and delicious.

Margaret Cloud said...

What yummy pictures makes you go to the kitchen and bake them, I am going now.

LyB said...

Mmmmmmm, fudge... Like Peabody I only make fudge during the Holidays. I can not control myself with fudge around. I just can't! :)

Deborah said...

I don't think I'd be able to eat just one piece. Give me a mix of this and the PB fudge, and I'm in heaven!

Katie Zeller said...

It makes me almost glad that I can't fine evaporated milk.... almost....
I have extraordinary willpower except when it comes to chocolate and peanut butter...

Erica said...

Adding you to my fav blogs...hope you don't mind :)

Mike Eberhart said...

omg does that sound incredibly sweet! I always like various GF desserts, and I do consider fudge to be one of those (though, it ends up being an all-day snack much too often) :)

Sounds great, and the walnuts certainly make it healthy with those Omega-3's. right?

Lisa said...

Oh wow! I do love peanut butter fudge. It is one of my very favorite things. This looks amazing...

giz said...

I'd be in rehab right there beside you - how is it even possible to resist the sugar rush of this fudge - it's fantastic.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I think we all headed for rehab now...wink...wink....

BugnLVoe said...

Thank you!!!!
I am honored that you thought the lemon blueberry cake looked good.
You rival Martha! I am so serious! :-)

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynn - you and your crack fudge crack me up! I understand the addiction all too well.

Katrina said...

Great, funny blog. My husband hates fudge, it's just TOO sugary for him. Crazy man! If there is some in the house, I keep eating it. I usually only make fudge around the holidays, so you're really tempting me! ;) It looks de-lish.

melvin said...

Cookies are most commonly baked until crisp long they remain soft. Cookies are made in a wide variety of styles an array of ingredients sugars, spices, chocolate, butter, peanut butter, nuts or dried fruits.
==============================
Melvin
Alcohol Rehab

Lee said...

I first made the K.C.P.B fudge about two years ago and LOST the recipe!!! Yep... my addiction caught up with me again when I found your site once more. ;) Now I have to try the less evil cousin...hmmm... this could be bad...y'all might be seeing me in rehab very soon!