Thursday, August 14, 2008

Serendipity Sherbet

I started my food blog as a way to practice my writing and as an excuse to try new recipes. Since that time I've gotten multiple other, unexpected benefits. Food bloggers are an amazing bunch and I've been blessed to get to know some of you and call you friends. I've expanded my own baking skills and repertoire, but I've also learned a lot from reading other food bloggers and have picked up some outstanding recipes from other blogs. But the most unexpected, out of the blue benefit of having a food blog is getting free stuff.

One day I opened my email and there was a letter from Hola Fruta! asking me if I'd like to sample some free fruit sherbet products. Are you kidding me? Bring it on! Shortly thereafter on my doorstep arrived a styrofoam cooler packed with dry ice, 3 flavors of fruit sherbet, and 2 flavors of fruit sherbet bars. Well, this obviously called for a party.

I invited over two families to help us taste test. They were eager to help. My friends are really good that way, always willing to lend a hand.



We dished up scoops of the sherbets so everyone could try each flavor and then waited for the reactions.

Mango: "Wow, this tastes so good I don't want to put anything else in my mouth. I just want this flavor to last."

Pomegranate: "Oh my gosh, this is amazing! It's delicious, so smooth and creamy."

Margarita : "Really lime-like. Refreshing! It's great." But the comments got even better when my husband poured some tequila over the scoops for the adults. "Oh, wow, it's like the easiest, best-ever margarita! I need to keep a tub of this in my freezer!"

Equally delightful were the Pomegranate-Blueberry and the Pina Colada sherbet bars. My kids thought they were the best frozen bars they'd ever had. Plus they're only 100 calories each!

It was all delicious, creamy, and naturally low in fat with anti-oxidant fruit purees used. Mmmm.

So, you say, that's nice that you had a party. Where's my party? Well, the good news is that you can enter to win a party of your own (in the USA). Hola Fruta is giving away three Fiesta Friday party packs until the end of September. Check it out and you could be the next lucky one trying to decide whether you prefer the cool, sweet Pomegranate, the tingly Margarita, or the creamy, dreamy Mango!

13 comments:

Sarah said...

I entered about hope to win! The flavors sound amazing...especially when you talked about pouring tequila over the margarita one!

Anonymous said...

It sounded all so good until the, 'in the USA only' part. Dang it!
Yours Sincerely,
your foreign friend, who loves sherbet ice cream. (insert sad sighing sounds here.)

Mandy said...

All the flavors sound delicious to me! I need to look out for their sherbets. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such enticing flavors!

Margaret Cloud said...

my favorite sherbert is orange and lime, at Christmas we make a punch with seven up and lime sherbert, your photos look yummy.

Nora B. said...

Free stuff!! Lucky you (your testers).

Just wanted to also add that I made the Kuchen last night and it was YUMMY!!! My partner and I polished off half of it that evening, which is good because it meant that I didn't have to cook dinner, we just had canned soup. I only had about a cup of frozen berries so I added a a small chopped up granny smith as well. I'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!

LyB said...

Oh darn, guess I'll have to find a way to make some of those flavors myself. :) Pomegranate sounds fabulous, as does that "easiest, best ever margarita"!

Elle said...

What a nice set of flavors. I like that there is so much fruit, too. Glad they picked you to sample 'em.

Heather said...

oooh lucky you! looks delish!

Heather said...

oooh lucky you! looks delish!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Lucky you--that sounds like a fun package to come home to!

Karen Baking Soda said...

I echo the sad sighing sounds Melissa uttered... USA I need to relocate!
Love the bowls btw. I'm not NOT referring to any of these über delicious flavours... not one for ice cream but I make up for that in sorbets!

RecipeGirl said...

Lucky you! Sounds terrific. I recently got some free stuff too that I haven't blogged about yet. Fun, huh???!