Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sweet Dreams

After a tough day, when the kids have been arguing, dinner didn't turn out well, I've got deadlines hanging over my head, and a headache has been following me all day like an evil puppy, I can't wait to get to bed. Sleep is the ultimate escape.

When I switch off my conscious brain, I enter a wonderful world where anything is possible. Sometimes I can fly. Sometimes I can fit in my high school jeans. Sometimes Colin Firth has just emerged dripping wet from a brief dip in the lake and wants to show me his mansion. Sometimes all in the same dream. And it all makes sense.

This dessert is like a dream. Improbably easy, light as a feather, melts away on your tongue, and is lingeringly delicious. It won't help you fit in your high school jeans, make you fly, or give you that encounter with Colin Firth, but it will make a rough day a little sweeter. Go ahead and dream with your eyes wide open.



Lemon Cream Dreams
serves 6

3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice*
4 oz white chocolate, chopped

1- Place a mixing bowl and beaters into the freezer to chill. Heat water in a saucepan to boiling.

2- In a heatproof bowl, beat the eggs until blended. Stir in sugar and the lemon juice.

3- Place the bowl over the pan of boiling water and cook, stirring continuously with a wire whisk until the mixture thickens to a pudding consistency.

3- Remove the bowl from the heat and add the white chocolate, stirring until it's melted and completely incorporated. Set aside and cool to room temperature. When cool, cover and chill in the refrigerator for an hour or more.

4- Using the chilled bowl and beaters, whip the cream to firm peaks. Gently fold the lemon mixture into the whipped cream. Spoon into beautiful serving dishes. Chill for 2 hours before serving. Garnish, if desired with a twist of lemon peel, a candied violet, or a dollop of whipped cream.

* If Meyer lemons are unavailable, use regular lemons. It will just be a bit more tart.

12 comments:

Cindy said...

This looks divine! Can I eat it for breakfast??

Jennifer Jo said...

Yes, I'm well aware of those days...

Funny, but as I was reading your post, up popped your comment on my blog---it's almost like a real, live conversation!

Homemade Heaven said...

Colin is a strange fellow, he pops up in my dreams too - how on earth can he be in 2 places at once?
As you say, this dessert will certainly make a few of my dreams come true - cream and lemons, what I live for!

grace said...

sadly, i haven't seen that version of pride and prejudice although i've always heard about that scene with mr firth. note to self: watch that version!
lovely springtime treat, lynn. i imagine that even a spoonful would make one close her eyes and just sigh. :)

Barbara said...

Sheer heaven! And I certainly hope it cured your headache!
(Does Colin Firth have a great bod? I never saw that scene!)

Maria said...

I have everything at home to make this. That means trouble:)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Cindy - I give you permission to have this for breakfast.

Jennifer Jo - Wish that we could chat real time!

Rose - Colin's been two-timing me???

Grace - P & P is a must see.

Barbara - It's not the body, it's the scene. He's completely dressed, but dripping wet.

Maria - Oh, sorry to lead you into temptation!

tracieMoo said...

Hello,
There's an award for you at my blog. Feel free to pick em up!

Have a nice day!

We Are Not Martha said...

I totally wouldn't mind seeing one of those in my dreams :)

I'm having one of those days today, so I totally know what you mean. Unfortunately, I can't enter dream land until I finish my whole stack of work, which will likely be hours and hours from how.

Sues

The Blonde Duck said...

Give me one of those and Colin Firth in a wet shirt and I'll definitely have sweet dreams.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm I could see myself continually going back to the fridge for another bite of this!

Unknown said...

Nom nom nom.. Lemon is my favorite thing, after chocolate!