Monday, March 1, 2010

Daintea Bread


There is a restaurant around here that's quite popular and I just don't get why. Whenever I ask people who've been there what it's like, they always say, "The portions are huge!" OK, but what's the food like? "Well, the portions are huge!" If pressed even further they might admit that the food quality is mediocre at best, but, "you get a lot of it!"

If I don't like it much to begin with, why would I want even more of it?


I'm not impressed by a piece of cake big enough to feed my family. I'd much rather have something dainty and delicious. I'm a fan of small servings that leave me satisfied, not bloated. This delicious tea bread fits the bill perfectly. Made in mini-loaf pans, each slice is moist with lemon glaze, has a soft, but not squishy texture, and is lightly sweet. Perfect for topping off a meal, or rounding out a tea tray. Plus, since you have two loaves, you have an extra one to share with a friend. Isn't that the sweetest way to enjoy your dessert?


Dainty Lemon Tea Bread

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup 2% milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar


1- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. with a rack in the center of the oven. Grease two 5-3/4 x 3-inch loaf pans.

2- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.

3- In a medium bowl cream the butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg and lemon zest. Beat well.

4- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Beat till smooth.

5- Divide the batter equally between the two loaf pans. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

6- While the loaves are baking, prepare the glaze. Mix the lemon juice with the confectioners' sugar and stir till smooth.

7 -Cool in the pans for 5 minutes then pour half the glaze over the loaves. Let the loaves cool another 5 minutes, then remove the loaves to a wire rack. Drizzle the remaining glaze over the loaves.

27 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have never understood the passion over quality and quantity. Give me memorable taste every time.

Roving Lemon said...

Reminds me of a line from Woody Allen: "The food was terrible--and such small portions!" The fact that some people value quantity over quality explains the popularity of a LOT of restaurants.

Needful Things said...

Looks moist and wonderful.
I agree with Bellini Valli - give me a memorable taste every time.

The Blonde Duck said...

You have just described the mentality of most of the restaurants in San Antonio. Ginourmous portions of everything slathered in butter, cheddar cheese, japenos and chili--and portions the size of a place mat. It's ridiculous. It's like grease and cheese and spice times 90.

Melinda said...

This is just perfect for me. I love lemon 'stuff' and I could eat the extra loaf!
I must admit I love a big breakfast meal. But other meals I want normal size portions. So I have room for dessert!

We Are Not Martha said...

Haha that restaurant sounds like Olive Garden :)

This bread is adorable and perfect for a little tea time... Love it!

Sues

Barbara said...

Are you sure that restaurant wasn't Houston's?

I agree...small portions, like mini cakes, tarts and little pot pies! Your dainty tea cake is perfect. Simple, with a lovely touch of lemon. Really nice!

Karen Baking Soda said...

I agree wholeheartedly; smaller portions and lots of them.

Seriously, these look so good, I was looking for a simple satisfying cake recipe (son nr 2 doesn't do fancy) and this might be it!

Anonymous said...

Like everyone, I agree! I'm not impressed with huge... and I get a little frustrated with restaurants that seem SO convinced their mission is to 1) contribute to obesity and/or 2) force people to just waste food left and right!

Rant over... I love the flavors in that cute bread! Lemon is always refreshing, and reminds me that spring is on its way!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is a very zesty cake, defintely my one! :)

J. Lynne said...

I have noticed that most of my guy friends and my father absolutely love the Golden Coral restaurant chain. The food reminds me of high school cafeteria food, but it's cheap and it's all you can eat and I think those last two things must be like hitting the jackpot for some people.

P.S. I love your recipes.

Marysol said...

Lynn, I prefer small portions as well.
Why just the other day, I polished off an entire sour cream pound cake, one sliver at a time. No regrets.


Btw, Your Daintea Lemon Tea Bread looks wonderfully tender and light!

Homemade Heaven said...

South Africa would be more to your taste in food eating - American portions are up to 2x bigger than ours. When an American recipe says yields 12, I can generally get 18 at least. A muffin here is a snack, not a meal. Coffee is sold in cups, not jugs. Like you say, more is not better - even if it's great, too much will spoil it.
I like that cake, lemon anything always gets my taste buds going.

grace said...

true that. :)
i love your play on words in the title--very clever. i also love the fact that this cake is dainty and undoubtedly moist and delicious. lovely!

Alison said...

This looks so good! I'm a big fan of lemon in baked goods! Your blog looks yummy!! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Ahh how adorable!!! :D :D

Katie said...

These look yummy. Sweet and simple and not too rich or heavy. Yum

Dolce said...

Tiny is cute plus as you say, you get to try a lot different things instead of just being overwhelmed by a huge but not so great piece of cake.

Abby said...

Ah, dainty. That's why it's fun to be a girl! I bought some mini loaf pans from Crate and Barrel after Christmas and have been waiting for the right recipe to come along!

Peabody said...

I never got the more of food I wasn't that fond of to begin with approach either.

Here, here for dainty food. Especially this tea loaf.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Cookie Baker Lyn...aint that so dang cute sounding?????
Lovely blog and am going gaga over the cookies too....

kickpleat said...

I love these kind of cakes. Simple and honest and quick. Made with lemon? Even better.

Jayne said...

Would adding a vanilla bean into the recipe ruin the lemony taste?

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm this looks like a perfect little cake that could be very addictive! It's interesting when people give their reviews of restaurants - some people hate restaurants that have good food but small portions just because the portions are small, and vice versa.

Anonymous said...

I am in love with the name of this loaf! And the texture looks so compact and moist. The way a satisfying loaf should be and more!

AMIT said...

Hey its yummy recipe written by you.

post free classified ads

Cindy said...

I always say I just want a bite or two of wonderful! I have the perfect mini pans to bake this yummy bread. Love your blog!