Tuesday, July 6, 2010

MRE's



Whoever wrote the line "lazy days of summer" obviously didn't have children. There's nothing lazy about summer when it involves taking kids to swim practice, going to swim meets, working in Vacation Bible School, teaching a child to ride a bike and to swim, ferrying children to friends' houses, or putting together birthday parties for the summer babies. Where in that tangled web of to-do's is there time to have a family sit-down dinner?

Sadly, often there is no time. But rather than grab a meal to go at the drive-through, with a little forethought you can take your sit-down meal along. Crowded schedule does not have to equal empty calories.

I was sitting in the waiting room at the orthodontist (another of my summer to-do's, getting braces on my daughter) and found this recipe in a Family Fun magazine. I was taken with the concept of dinner to go - pizza all wrapped up in a tidy bundle. Simple to make, easy to pack, eagerly eaten. Just what I need for swim meets or spur of the moment picnics.

Pizza Scones
- adapted from Family Fun

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozarella
1/3 cup finely chopped pepperoni (optional)
2 large eggs
3/4 cups buttermilk


1- Heat oven to 375 deg. F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2- Place tomatoes in medium bowl and cover with boiling water. let Stand for 30 minutes, then drain the water and stir in the cheese and pepperoni.

3- In a food processor, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, basil, oregano and salt. Add the cold butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and set aside.

4- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Add the tomato mixture and stir.

5- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until it forms a sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead the dough until it holds together, about 5 times. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a 1-inch thick disk. Slice each disk into 4 wedges.

6- Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake 15- 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Note: To make 12 smaller scones, reduce bake time to 10-15 minutes.

14 comments:

Anne said...

I want this! It kept echoing in mind when I saw your post. I'm sure my kids would definitely agree with me :)

Elizabeth said...

Very clever idea. Those scones would be great for breakfast too.

I was just thinking about wrapping bread dough around some leftover stir-fried kale. I wonder if it it would work to simply add it to scone dough.

-Elizabeth

Unknown said...

I hear yah! These looks great

Karen Baking Soda said...

Ditto! Why do they only have these old People magazines at our hospital? I could have learned something new while waiting for my sons wisdom tooth being extracted. Summer=lazy? No way!
Excuse me, gotta run, get one of them to a party and the other one from a party. (No, not in the same direction, of course not pah)

Dharm said...

This sounds like a great idea! all in one pizza wraps!

grace said...

i've really started enjoying scones, particularly ones of a savory nature. this is a unique and clever idea, and the very presence of sun-dried tomatoes means i have to try 'em out for myself. :)

We Are Not Martha said...

Those are such a wonderful idea! And you've definitely reminded me to enjoy some lazy days of summer as best I can before it's time for me to have kids (not for at least several years!) :)

Sues

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are perfect little hand pies Lynn..in scone form of course:D

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

PIZZA SCONE!?! Oh, I'm SO bookmarking this recipe!

Barbara said...

OMG. This is amazing, Lynn! Pizza in scone form. What a brilliant idea. Reading magazines and doctor's offices and at the hairdresser almost always results in an idea. I am forever asking if I can have the magazine!

eatme_delicious said...

Just the name "pizza scones" totally sucks me in!! Yum perfect on the go meal.

Unknown said...

These look delicious and I will be making them very soon! One question though, the directions say to mix in the cornmeal but there is no cornmeal listed in the ingredients list, just the two flours. How much cornmeal or no cornmeal? Thank you.

Di said...

What a great idea! I bet my girls would love these. Bookmarking right now. =)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Monique - Thanks for catching my error. It's 1/2 cup cornmeal, and I fixed that in the recipe. Good spotting!