Monday, July 19, 2010

Bun Out Of The Oven

If you follow the Bread Baking Babes, you might have noticed that I was absent from our posting day last Friday. My absence was especially bad because I was the host kitchen!

Despite what you might think, I'm not a total flake. I had made the bread. Twice. I was ready to put up my post and talk about the recipe. I even had some ideas about how to incorporate that funky 70's hippie vibe that this bread put me in mind of. But then I got a phone call. At 4 am.

My pregnant daughter called to let me know that her water had broken. Four weeks early. Despite all her happy plans for a home birth attended by a wonderful midwife and doula, she and her husband had to go to the hospital. So her entourage went with her. We walked with them, sat with them, helped them make tough decisions.

And then came the labor. Intense labor. So, so hard, with not a moment to nap or recover. But my daughter was amazing. She went through the whole thing without medication and about 19 hours after her water broke, she gave birth to a beautiful little girl.

It was an intense day filled with heartbreak, disappointment, weariness, despair, pain, exhaustion, agony, much blood, and then the miracle of a new little life. So worth it.

So, really, which would you rather I talked about? This, a dense, gummy loaf made from sprouted wheat-



or this. Isn't she perfect?

23 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

The baby! That's what I want to talk about!!!

Congratulations to ALL of you!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Awww Congrats. What a beautiful girl!

Fallon said...

Beautiful!! Congrats to your daughter. Now you have a good excuse when you say you are busy. ;)

hobby baker Kelly said...

CONGRATULATIONS! To all of you!

Natalie said...

Congratulations, she is beautiful! I will not complain if you post more pictures :)

Stef said...

So happy for you! I got o church with Sam and Sarah and we see her every Tuesday at Bible study - I was thrilled to see a picture of little Eden on your site! She's beautiful and I don't think she even looks 4 weeks early!

Good job Sarah! We are SOOOO proud of you!

Melinda said...

I want to talk about Eden Elisabeth.
She is gorgeous.
Come on Grandma Cookie, talk all you want about your beautiful grand daughter!

Elle said...

Perfect choice...the baby is what we want to talk about! She is perfect and beautiful and precious. Congrats!

eatme_delicious said...

Adorable!!! Congratulations Lynn. :)

Unknown said...

The baby, the baby! Congratulations :)

Tara said...

Oh gosh..what a beautiful baby!! Congratulations!

Aimée said...

Um, we like the baby talk! Birth talk doesn't make me squirm, either.

Congratulations! She's perfect.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh I don't know ... sounds a little like the dog ate my home work don't cha think ... :-) Grandma Cookie I like that.

Let's see which to talk about ... Eden Baby Eden Baby Eden Baby Eden Baby ... wow she really is sweet Lynn. You know we're only too happy to talk baby! Eden looks like a wonderful Baby Babe!

Maria said...

Congrats!!! Soooo adorable!

Elizabeth said...

Good one, MKiHC!! But, yes, definitely the right choice; new babes definitely take precedence over sprouted bread.

-Elizabeth

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

How could you even ask?
Such a wonderful young Babe, that's what we want to talk about.
Who needs to talk about bread?! uhm - I mean... aye well erm we love to talk about bread but Eden is just tooo sweet not to talk about her :)

Kudos to the young Mum for 19 hours of labor!

Lien said...

Hahaha Tanna, that's so funny!
Well done to your daughter Lynn, sounds almost like a dutch birth without medication. So well done for this beautiful first born of her! I love that name a lot too; Eden, has a very elegant ring to it.

What Bread?? were we talking about bread?

Barbara said...

No, I'd much rather hear about that beautiful baby!
Congratulations to all!

Cara said...

Congrats, she is lovely!

Dharm said...

What a lovely girl!! Congrats Grandma!!!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Aww I am soooo glad that everything worked out. Enjoy your new bundle of joy, and congrats to your daughter and her husband!

grace said...

hooray! for me, very few things cause food to take a backseat, but miniature humans do it every time. :)

Linda Vandermeer McCubbin said...

Congratulations on a gorgeous grand daughter. How beautiful.