Thursday, April 9, 2009
Luscious Lemons For Lazy Lynn
I apologize for leaving the same post up so long, but I was taking a mini-vacation. I spent 5 days with my sisters playing, baking, shopping, talking, and having so much fun that I didn't have time to put up a single post.
Now that I'm home I have to make up for time away from the family. The pile of composting bananas on the counter needs to be turned into banana bread. I need to catch up on reading and cuddling time with my kids. And then I have to put on a hard hat and grab a pickaxe and go tackle Mt. Laundry.
Instead of boring you with my chore list, I'll tantalize you instead with these scones that I made a while back. Luscious, lemony, and just right for a tea break in the middle of a busy day.
Lemon Cream Scones
- adapted from The Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger
makes 8 scones
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp baking powder
grated zest of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp salt
4 tblsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large eggs
1/2 cups cold heavy cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or parchment-line a baking sheet. In a medium bowl using a whisk or electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Using a for or electric mixer, cut in the butter. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs. In a small bowl or 1-cup measure, whisk together the eggs and cream. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until a shaggy, sticky dough is formed.
2. Turn the shaggy dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead gently, about 6 times, just until the dough holds together. Divide into 2 equal portions and pat each into a 1-inch-thick round about 6 inches in diameter. Using a knife or straight edge, cut each round into quarters, making 4 wedges.
3. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake 15-to 20 minutes, or until crusty and golden brown.
4. Combine the lemon juice and confectioners' sugar and stir till smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm scones.