Sunday, February 10, 2008

Secret Kiss

You always remember your first kiss. Good, bad, or embarrassing, you always remember it.

My first kiss was arranged. By my sister. When I was in jr. high, she was dating a guy who had a younger brother my age. Together they thought up the brilliant plan of setting us up. I was amenable to the plan. The guy was cute, I'd never been on a date, and since I'd be with my sister, my mother OK'd the plan.

After the date was all set, my sister informed me that I was supposed to kiss the guy at the door. This prospect was both exciting and terrifying. I'd never kissed anyone outside of my family. What if I did it wrong? What if my mother found out?

The four of us went out for pizza. I said hardly a word, the prospect of the big "K" looming like a giant cloud over the dinner table. Walking home, I could barely think of a thing to say, sneaking sideways glances at his lips. My sister and her date contrived to lag a bit behind us to give us time alone. We got to the doorstep and I said goodnight, waited a few beats, and then he made his move and planted a slightly moist kiss on me, milliseconds before the front door was jerked open by my mother.

I hurried inside, heart pumping. My first kiss! Had my mother seen? Had she been watching for us? Would he ask me out again?

Like a rose without water my hopes of romance curled up and died. Oh, he came around again. To see my sister. He spent the whole rest of the summer following her around like a puppy dog. Sigh. So much for true love at first kiss.


If there's someone in your life you've been wanting to give a kiss to, you could test the waters with a secret kiss. In a cookie, that is. Bake something sweet for your sweetie and see where it leads. Hopefully to something beautiful. Just don't ask your sister to drop off the cookies.

Secret Kiss Cookies
adapted from a Hershey recipe

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-3/34 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 6-oz bag Hershey Kisses, unwrapped
Powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour and walnuts; beat on low speed of electric mixer until well blended. Cover; refrigerate dough 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to handle.

Heat oven to 375 deg. F. Using approximately 1 Tbsp of dough for each cookie, shape dough around each Kiss; roll to make ball. Be sure to cover the chocolate completely. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set but not brown. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

While still slightly warm, roll in powdered sugar. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container. You can roll them again in powdered sugar again just before serving.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

33 comments:

Nikki57 said...

Those are adorable!

Gigi said...

Those cookies are so cute! I can't believe the kiss didn't melt. I can't wait to try these out.

Anonymous said...

Those sound good. I had the school girl giggles reading your first kiss story! Sweet and sour!
(Yesterday was my 25th anniversary of the first time my husband kissed me. The sweetest kisser ever since!)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

The cookies are incredible Lynn!! The story is wonderful. Mine was a set up.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Oh, these are just BEAUTIFUL! But - wah! - we can't get Hershey kisses over in the UK! What am I going to do??

Susan @ SGCC said...

Adorable cookies! Very clever. I loved your story, too.

Gretchen Noelle said...

What an adorable story to go with an adorable cookie!

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, I love these cookies! Having very little brain this morning I did not realize from the title or your story that they had a kiss inside...

Brilynn said...

Cute story! I like the idea of secret kiss cookies.

Marcia said...

I loved your story - have you ever considered writing a book? The cookies look amazing too!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Oh, Lynn! I have a similar story - except that it was a good friend of mine who made up the whole first kiss thing, with her boyfriend's brother. :)

These cookies look wonderful! Jessica will love them.

LyB said...

A secret kiss, I love it! I try not to remember my first kiss, it falls in the "embarrassing" category ;)

Aimée said...

Yea, I try not to think of my first kiss. My second sure made up for it, though! :)
Adorable cookies and story.

SteamyKitchen said...

soooo very very cute!!!!!

perfect for v-day

Anonymous said...

Mom, the Secret Kiss cookies that you made were sooooo good I think you need to make them again and again;)

Nicole Brady said...

I love the story - and I'm glad I scrolled down to read the whole thing and see why the cookie was named as such. From the first picture, it didn't look like anything spectacular, but cut open, oooh. I'll add kisses to the grocery list and try this out! Any advice on what to add besides walnuts? (Would the recipe work just fine without any nuts?)

Deborah said...

Love the story - and love the cookies!!

Peabody said...

That boy doesn't know what he missed out on! :)
Those are some good looking kisses.

Emily said...

Beautiful cookies!

Wow, did you say junior high? That was ughh, much earlier than mine. Ok, I'm a little embarassed right now.

test it comm said...

Nice looking cookies! They bring back memories. My mother used to make these when I was younger.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love these little hidden parcels..I'd sneak several of these kind of kisses :D

Homemade Heaven said...

I have not thought of my first kiss for ages, brings back a happy smile. I will admit that your kisses look better though.

Melanie Anne said...

What a delightful story and fun cookie recipe! I really enjoy your blog-you are a great writer, photographer & baker!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those! Adorable! The texture of the cookie part looks perfect too.

Monique said...

Ooohhh, I want to be kissed..by your cookies.
Hershey kisses....I don't think they are sold here in Europe.Grr, no kisses for me !

Anonymous said...

The story and the cookies are adorable! :):) It brought back memories of my first kiss.

BugnLVoe said...

Oh wow those look really good! :-)

XOXO

RecipeGirl said...

Love the story! I made a lemon kiss cookie over the holidays that was similar to these.

Jerry said...

How cute! Must try! Thanks Lynn!

sallyhor said...

Happy valentine!!
So sweet. Must try this lovely secret kiss cookies! Remind me for the first kiss, many year ago.

Tom said...

I'm reading your recipe and fear that my eyes or brain are not working properly...1-3/34 cups all-purpose flour? Is that supposed to be 1 3/4 cups?

Tom said...

I made a batch of these goodies last night. Très grandiose! especially when you eat one where the kiss is still melted inside. ^_^

I used Hershey's Special Dark Kisses, as the darker the chocolate, the better, no? I also used hazelnuts rather than walnuts because I have plenty of them on hand.

I think that even the dough alone would make some wonderful cookies, sort of like Pecan Sandies.

Amy said...

What a cute story! And adorable cookies to boot!