Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Hole in One

I first made these doughnuts many years ago when my Taste of Home magazine arrived in the mail. Having never made doughnuts before I had no idea how many doughnuts the recipe made, or how difficult it is to cut, fry, and glaze doughnuts all by yourself. What started as my idea of fun quickly turned into a full family affair, everyone with their own job. The doughnuts kept coming, like a Homer Price story come to life. Faced with a table overflowing with doughnuts, we called in reinforcements. My teenaged son's friend from down the block came to help us eat them. Nothing's better for tackling a mountain of doughnuts than teenaged boy appetites!

That experience put me off doughnut making for quite a while, but when Peabody and Helen announced their Time to Make Doughnuts event, I pulled out my trusty Spudnut recipe and went to work. This time I halved the recipe for a much more manageable amount and my husband was on cut and glaze duty while I fried.

I've had a fear of frying in the past because of trouble controlling the temperature. This time I used an electric skillet my mother-in-law gave me and it worked beautifully. Each of the doughnuts turned out light, fluffy, and moist. They were so good it was hard not to snork the whole batch!

Spudnuts
adapted from Taste of Home

1/2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pkg active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm milk (110 to 115 deg. F)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Oil for deep-fat frying
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool to 110 - 115 deg. F. Discard remaining cooking liquid (or save it to make bread). Mash potatoes without milk or butter.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking liquid. Add mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs, and salt. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 3-inch doughnut cutter.

In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 deg. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla in a bowl. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 dozen, but feel free to double the recipe to feed a crowd


22 comments:

Peabody said...

Spudnuts...like the name. I have never had potato doughnuts but knowing how I love the bread I bet these are wonderful.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I'm no expert on doughnuts, but I've never come across potato doughnuts before. You live and learn... These look terrific!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Potato yeast doughnuts! These I'm saving Lynn! My dad always seeks out potato flour for his doughnuts. Swears it's the best!
Beautiful.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I have never seen potato doughnuts, Lynn, and will give them a go sometime! I'm getting hungry already... :)

Deborah said...

I am so trying this recipe!! There was a donut shop called "Spudnuts" where I grew up and they were my very favorite donuts!

Julie said...

How weird...in a really good way! I've never heard of potato donuts, but I bet they're really tender.

Anonymous said...

I need a good spudnuts recipe. We used to eat these as a kid. I haven't eaten them forever. I live in potato country (in Idaho) and we use potatoes in many ways. Thanks!!

Gigi said...

I bet they were fluffy tender due to the potato. They glaze looks so good on the donuts ...yummy!

Rosie said...

I have never taken the plunge to make doughnuts yet and wow these are made with potato!

Love the name Spudnuts and they really DO look so delicious I can imagine their beautiful taste, with your wonderful glaze..... Lip smacking good mmmmmmmmmm

Many thanks for kindly visiting my blog and your lovely comment you left! :D

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Lynn, When I come to visit, I want these...well, and a few hundred other goodies you make. But these are definitely in the top five! They look like lip smackers!

Brilynn said...

The glaze looks perfect! And making them with potato would make them so soft and good!

Anonymous said...

OH how yummy those look! Great job!

LyB said...

You're making me hungry! Is it too late to start a batch at 9pm? ;)
I can't help but think "French Fry Doughnuts" would be a great name for these!

test it comm said...

Those doughnuts look great. I like the sound of a potato based doughnut.

Anonymous said...

That looks super delicious. I will definitely try it out. :)

Cheryl said...

Oh I so love the glaze on your donuts. It makes them one of my favorites.

Helene said...

How creative! As a potato lover, I can't help but say "Yum"!! Thanks for your entry!

Sarah said...

These look *so* good. And I love the potatoes in the recipe. Though I must admit I'm still too scared to fry doughnuts...someday I'll have to get over my fear, and these look like a good place to start!

Glenna said...

Mmmm...yum! I love homemade donuts and yours are so inviting. I'll have to try your recipe.

Anne said...

This is something new to me...but it looks so good that I'm really craving for it now :)

Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you, thank you!
I've been looking for a spudnut receipe in old cook books, but I gave up and found you! My teenage years were in the late 50's. My friends and I would drive to Anderson, Indiana to a donut shop to just buy spudnuts. Now, one of my friends (mentioned above) is suffering with lung cancer. We have been talking of the 'ole' days and I thought she would enjoy a spudnut! I'm going to make them as soon as possible. Thank You for taking us back to the good ole days of rock 'n roll and juke boxes!
Jeanine Mowery, Bloomfield, IN
2-8-09

eviedee said...

I made Spudnuts to take to a "Potato Party" (a celebration of all things potato) and they were so well received! Thanks for posting this spudtacular recipe!