Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Letters

My daughter and her fiancee have survived a long distance relationship via technology. For four years he's been at a college on the other side of the state, a 5 hour drive. They've had summer's together and been able to visit each other for the occasional long weekend, but mainly it's been romance by IM and cell phone. Hooray for unlimited mobile to mobile minutes!

Daily chatting on the cell phone keeps them connected, but I worry that she won't have a stack of love letters. Sadly, love letters seem to be a fatality of the information super-highway. A stack of fragile, crackly letters, tied with a satin ribbon, smelling faintly of an old perfume, stored in the lingerie drawer. So old fashioned, but so romantic.

This cocktail came from Demolition Desserts. It is Elizabeth Faulkner's love letter to Pierre Herme. It's delightfully different, heady with the fragrance of roses, and a perfect way to show your romantic side to your someone special.

Love Letter
adapted from Demolition Desserts by Elizabeth Faulkner

1/4 cup (2 oz) raspberry juice
1 Tbsp (1/2 oz) Cointreau
1/4 cup (2 oz) white rum, such as 10 Cane brand
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp rose water
Ice cubes
2 to 4 organic rose petals, preferably red

(You can use bottled raspberry juice or make it from concentrate.)

Chill 2 cocktail glasses in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.

In a cocktail shaker, combine the raspberry juice, Cointreau, rum, lime, juice, and rose water. Fill the shaker with ice, cover, and shake.

Half fill the chilled glasses with ice and strain the cocktail into the glasses. Float 1 or 2 rose petals on top of each drink and serve immediately.



(Sarah reassures me that she has a whole box full of love letters from her sweetie. Yeah!)

*You might have come here looking for a decadent, chocolate Valentine's special. In the words of Ogden Nash, candy's dandy, but liquor's quicker! Happy Valentine's Day!

17 comments:

Chelsea said...

My fiancé, boyfriend at the time, and I have only done the long distance thing for 3 months when he was in WA, but it was hard. I am impressed your daughter and her fiancé have done so well. Congrats to them!

Anonymous said...

We are almost done! Yeah! to Chelsea-
The first three months is actually the worst of it. You learn to communicate better, and you learn to rework your lives to make it work. It's not best by any stretch, but it's not that bad.

And that drink was NUMMY!!! Two thumbs up.

Sarah said...

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost two years about about 1 1/2 has been long distance (he is about 5 hours away). It is hard and we can both get busy with work, but it is important to not let life get too much in the way of the relationship, even if most of it is over the phone. I love hearing of others who have had successful long distance relationships. It gives me hope that mine will end up well.

Bron said...

Oooh that looks like one sweet "love letter" very pretty! Happy Valentine's day!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

A hand written note/letter is something very special and more so today.
The drink does indeed looks romantic and delish!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lynn, how great to know that - true love stays strong no matter what.

It's the first time I see this drink and I'd love to try it!

Marcia said...

Absolutely delightful!

Aimée said...

This drink makes my mouth water! Haven't had a drink in a while..but as soon as this baby arrives: cheers!

Brilynn said...

That's so pretty!

Anonymous said...

That looks good. I could use one to wash down all my chocolate!
Ahh, love letters... that was a long time ago.
I am glad Sarah has more than safe text to look at and remember.

Mansi said...

A sweet post, just like the rose and the dessert!:)

Ashley said...

Beautiful photos! What a great way to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Peabody said...

Nothing says I love you like hard liquor...or is that what gets people to say I love you sometimes. :)
The color on this is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That sounds mighty delicious, and judging by all the cooperating ingredients, like a very smooth (and very V-day suitable) drink!

RecipeGirl said...

Sounds like a fun drink, and so pretty too!

Isn't technology amazing? I was just chatting with my husband yesterday as I was faxing something that I can't imagine what our parents used to do years ago in their high powered careers when they had to communicate in various ways! My hubby travels every week so we use a little video -cam on the computer to communicate. It's almost like you're really together! Well, not really... but it helps :) And I do have saved "actual" love letters from my hubby. Thankfully there wasn't really email so much back then!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Fantastic looking and sounding cocktail - and I'm so glad to hear Sarah's got those letters!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Dear Lynn
What goes around comes around ! Love uses diffrent mediums to express but in the end, it is reciprocation in equal measures that matters., isnt't. Loved the recipe of love letter. Cheers to you, dear !