Thursday, January 3, 2013

Random Neuron Firings

I was discussing writing with a writer friend of mine who was frustrated with the concept of writing a book. I pointed out that not all writers shine at producing a work the size of a book. Many writers excel at writing short stories or magazine articles. I've found that I best express myself in something the size of a blog post. Short and sweet.

Recently, though, I've had trouble putting together my thoughts. It's been really difficult to compile my ideas in an organized and hopefully entertaining fashion, long enough to complete a

So, my first post for the new year (since one of my New Year's goals is to not let my blog completely die) is going to be random neuron firings.

* One of the hardest things in my life right now is doing the remembering for 4 people. I have to remember and remind the family to start the day off with a glass of water and probiotics. One person has to be reminded to take a heavy metal detox liquid 10 minutes before every meal. That same person also has to be reminded to get out and rinse off the ingredients for morning juicing. And to empty the dishwasher. And to brush his teeth.

I have to remember parasite cleanse pills 3 times a day and remind 3 people. And to thaw meat and broth for the next three meals. And to have soup once a day. And to put olive oil or butter over everything. And to order and take (and remind everyone else to take) the fermented cod liver oil supplements.



(If you need to order any of those, or other pills, food, cleaners or whatever from iHerb, use the code RUC080 and save some $$ on your first order. It helps me too!)

I guess I have job security. Because there's no way they'd survive longer than two days without me. Especially after they figured out the laundry doesn't wash, sort, and fold itself.

* I hate washing dishes in the winter. Because our house is always cold, I always have long sleeves on. And when I wash dishes, the water splashes on my sleeves. I hate having cold, wet, cuffs. I'd rather go change my shirt than walk around with cold, clammy cuffs. Or let the dishes pile up beside the sink. Which is what I usually do.

* I love it when people randomly say and do nice things.

* Pinterest is a huge time suck. It makes me feel productive, pinning pictures of clever crafts and helpful household tips. But it's deceitful. I won't refinish those cupboards or turn old Scrabble tiles into charming decorations. But I suppose I can pretend. And maybe somewhere along the way I'll get super motivated and actually finish one of those projects. Or at least click through on the link and read the how-to post before deciding it's too much effort. (And if your life doesn't have enough random stuff in it, you can follow me on Pinterest - Lynn Craig.)
* Parenting involves a certain amount of schizophrenia. During December I found myself wanting to shout at my children, "Go away and leave me alone. I'm stressed out from having so much shopping and wrapping to do because I'm buying so many presents for you because I love you so much. So go away!"

Perhaps the answer is to buy less and spend more time with the kids. That's the Good Parenting Magazine answer. The real answer, of course, is that I love to give my kids gifts that will make their eyes sparkle as they say, "Thank you!!!" My favorite part of Christmas is watching them open the gifts I've been sooooo excited to give.

This year's gifting involved sewing, which is a major "Go away!" activity. It's hard to keep gifts a secret when they watch you making them. But wasn't it worth it?

I found some fabulous red, sparkly material and made a dress, and matching mommy and daughter leggings. How cute are they? (They being daughter who is auntie to granddaughter.)

* Wine is proof that God loves me.

* Sometimes pain brings you gain. And sometimes it's just pain.

* Christmas without cookies is fundamentally wrong.


(These are from 2010. Nothing like this showed up in my house this Christmas.)

* Stealing is mean and mean people suck. My daughter had Christmas packages stolen off her porch. Several times. Really? How low do you have to be to take Christmas presents???

* It's amazing how my sweet tooth has diminished. We've been craving chocolate, but in order to be GAPS legal, it can't contain added sugar or soy. I challenge you to try finding that! And when you do, send it to me. They all have sugar and soy lecithin. So we've been reduced to gnawing on unsweetened chocolate. It's just a tad too bitter for me, but it's better than no chocolate!

* If you go through the holidays with GAPS, there's no need to go to diet purgatory in January.

* Why did anyone freak out about the Mayan end of the world? Why would you trust people that ripped people's hearts out?

* I don't have control over the debt ceiling, which politician is currently trying to steal my children's futures, or whatever crisis is currently in the headlines, but I can make sure my family eats well, that the toilet is scrubbed, and the laundry gets washed and folded.

Next time I'll post food. I promise! Till then, stay warm, safe, and count your blessings.

8 comments:

Peabody said...

Happy New Year!

I have had a terrible time with people stealing packages off my porch. So much so that I have to call the company and tell them they must ask for a signature.

People suck far too much.

I didn't go through the holidays with GAPS but I don't need to diet since I didn't gain anything. :)

Kristen said...

I love your random neron firings :) I hope you do more!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

That's terrible that people would stoop so low to steal packages. Here they try to deliver but after that you have to pick it up or give them an alternative of where to ship it. Being on any kind of restricted lifestyle over the holidays would have been tough...no milk chocolate, no chocolate oranges...you are strong in more ways than one Lynn:D

hobby baker Kelly said...

That is low. And sad that people are that desperate.

I would think you could add some honey and cocoa butter to unsweetened chocolate and temper and pour it for a GAPS chocolate. Or if you really want to scratch it, which is that much more time and stress, here is a cocoa powder based recipe: http://ournourishingroots.com/simple-honey-sweetened-chocolate-and-gaps-chocolate-chips/

Personally, I say screw the extra stress and take what shortcuts you can that are still legal! To that end, this is the place I'd start:
http://homesteaderkitchen.com/recipes/homemade-honey-sweetened-chocolate-bars/

grace said...

stolen xmas presents?!?! what a grinch-y thing to do. loved reading this post. :)

Bruce Craig said...

Just letting you know that your "Random Neuron Firings" contain great writing and nuggets of truth. Keep up the good work. GAPS isn't easy and takes dedication and someone to help lead, and that's you. Thank you!

PTL0 said...

Your blog is definitely awesome! Don't let it die! :) Sounds like you guys are keeping with the diet despite the annoyance it brings... I hope you guys get the results you're hoping for! Nice to read another great blog post!

ACreativeDreamer said...

I don't know exactly how I ran across your blog, but this statement

* Wine is proof that God loves me.

Proves that we must be kindred spirits!