Monday, April 12, 2010

Waffly Good Breakfast



One of the surest ways to produce a smile on my son's faces is to make waffles. I rarely do it, though, because of the time involved. Somedays, though, like rainy weekend days, it's worth it just to see the sunshine in his smiles.

I made these waffles and topped them with homemade plum jam. I had to talk my son into trying that. Anything new or different is viewed with suspicion. We finally compromised; one waffle with jam, one his standard way - every hole filled in with maple syrup (that boy loves his syrup!). He agreed that both were good, although I suspect he'll still reach for the syrup next time I make them. I'll bet if I wrapped them around a sausage, he'd love them even more - Pigs in a Quilt!

If you like variety, try adding some chopped toasted nuts to the batter, or if you like savory, some chopped fresh chives. Whatever you do, though, don't skip the beaten egg white step! That's the secret to the lofty tenderness of these treats.


Happy Day Buttermilk Waffles
- adapted from The Bread Bible by Beth Henspberger

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs separated
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups buttermilk


1- Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high.

2- In a large bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, oil, and buttermilk until foamy.

3- In a small bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form (when you pull the beater out of the whites, a peak should form which gently slouches over).

4- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in the whites until no streaks are visible.

5- Brush the waffle iron with oil or melted butter. For each waffle, pour about 1 cup of the batter on to the grid. Close the lid and bake until the waffle is crisp and golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. (My waffle iron has a marvelous tweedling noise it makes to let me know when it's done.) Remove waffle from iron with a fork and repeat with the remaining batter.

Any leftover waffles can be cooled and stored in a freezer zip-loc bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat in the toaster.

16 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Oh I'm always on the lookout for waffles recipes. Thanks! I have a waffle loving son too. He likes to spread his with peanut butter and lots and lots of syrup. What is it with boys and syrup?

The Blonde Duck said...

Waffles always make me happy. I LOAD them up with syrup. I always mean to try PB or blueberry preserves...and the syrup always wins.

Cindy said...

I love a good waffle, these look delicious! My waffle iron died recently, time to go shopping I think.

Chris Simon said...

"Pigs in a quilt" - LOL. Quick, trademark that if it's not already!

Abby said...

Pigs in a quilt! Cute! I wonder if C. would like them that way. Although even at 21 months he's already a syrup-in-every-hole kinda kid.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi,
I like your waffles recipe! I always think of trying it but I don't have a waffle iron. Will keep your recipe till I have one. May I know what brand of waffle iron are you using?

Anonymous said...

I love waffles, just like your son -- my dad made them every Saturday morning when I was growing up. His recipe also uses the beaten egg white trick. I agree, it's the secret to fluffy, tender waffles!

Elle said...

Bet his smile chased away the clouds! Such light and lovely waffles Lynn...and sparkling jam. Weekends I should come to your house.

grace said...

ooh, nice touch with the plum jam--that sounds great! also, pigs in a quilt? i LOVE that completely-fitting name, and i'd love to have that on my plate!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

If I started my day off with these waffles my day would be anything but ordinary.

Barbara said...

I love it..Pigs in a Quilt! I'm in line for that one!

Your son was a good sport to try the plum jam when maple syrup was sitting there! But homemade jam? That's different.

I'd love waffles for breakfast. It's been a long time since I made them.

Cara said...

Waffles make me smile too! My favorite way to eat them as a kid was with cream cheese, bananas, AND syrup. I guess I've always had complicated tastes. I would love to try the plum jam, yum!

Melinda said...

I don't know if I have told this to you before...and I know it is very un-American of me...but I don't like waffles! I know! I have tried but they just don't do it for me. I love pancakes but the waffle, no.
Go figure.
Your photo looks very sweet. And bless Samuel's little cotton socks for being open minded and trying something new.

Homemade Heaven said...

I would stretch for the plum jam. I wish my Mom made these for me- looks like I'm going to have to be the mom to do the waffling!

Anne said...

I love waffles...in fact I'm addicted to it :) Can't wait to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love waffles so much, I bought a KitchenAid commercial waffle maker from KaTom, a restaurant equipment store online, and I can't wait to try this out. Buttermilk seems to do amazing things in baking. I use it for irish soda bread, biscuits, and pancakes!