Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tidying Up


Sometimes when I'm baking something I can hardly wait to post it because I know just how I'm going to write about it. I know exactly the clever tie-in or the funny story to tell that will go with the recipe. And then there are other days. Like today. When I sit and stare at the computer screen and can't think of a single witty, poignant, or relevant thing to say.

The honest truth is that I'm posting these cookies because I want to get the recipe off my countertop. I have currently 6 cookbooks, 1 cooking magazine, a stack of loose recipes, and a binder full of printed off recipes sitting on my counter. And that's AFTER my husband purged the counter so that we could have company over for lunch on Tuesday.

So really, this post is just decluttering. Nothing wrong with the cookies. They're good. We ate them all and enjoyed them. I'm just not in the mood to sell them right now. I'm too busy clearing off space on the counter so that I can bake some more.



Double Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried tart cherries


1- Preheat the oven to 375 deg. F.

2- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars till light and creamy.

3- Add the egg and vanilla and beat till well combined.

4- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and beat just till combined.

5- Stir in the chocolates and cherries.

6- Scoop the dough by heaping Tablespoon (I use a 1-1/4-inch scoop) onto ungreased baking sheets, 1-1/2-inches apart.

7- Bake for 9 minutes, just till the dough is set on top. Remove the sheets from the oven and let the cookies rest on the sheets for 2 minutes. The cookie will continue to bake as they sit.

8- Remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container.

11 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Love the brutal honesty. Whatchya makin' next?

Mary Bergfeld said...

Been there, done that :-). They look wonderful. I hope your guests are folks whose company you enjoy. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I feel the same so many times!! They look delish!

Julie said...

Love this post! I wish I had more stories to go along with my recipes but sometimes I just draw a blank. I have a long list of things to make and post right now, just need time to get it done.

grace said...

i'm the same way--i love when i have a tie-in or a story, but sometimes ya just don't. that doesn't make these cookies any less marvelous though. :)

Melinda said...

I'm loving your moving on story.
But they do look good no matter what!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynn. From Marysol's Memories in the Baking, I came to visit your site. I also discovered you're not far away (I'm right over the US/Canada border in the Gulf Islands). Nice to find such a good baking site, from the Seattle area.

I appreciate your comments on finding the inspiration for blogging about something...good for you. And good for you for doing such a good blog.

Thanks,

Dan

The Blonde Duck said...

I feel your pain--I have a whole stack of recipes waiting to be tried!

kickpleat said...

ha, that's right, there's nothing wrong with cookies. they look delicious and are sure to help along the mind block that we all have sometimes.

Victoria said...

It's like decluttering the recipes in your brain. I totally get it. The best part about this sort of decluttering is that you get the reap the benefits!

http://vickys.wordpress.com

Barbara said...

I laughed right out loud at your first paragraph. So true. I have a pile in my kitchen too. Every once in a while (usually a rainy day) I get going and make about 5 or 6 things!
Everyone eats well for a few days! :)