Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Change Is Good


I am all for traditions. Traditions comfort us. They anchor us. They are a structure around which to build our lives. But sometimes the structure can be a little claustrophobic. And then it's time to break out, shake things up, and try something new.

If you've been keeping track, you might have noticed that I missed posting a pie for Pie Day last week. I did make a pie, but I held off posting it on purpose. This pie hasgot such lovely flavors that say fall and Thanksgiving to me that I wanted to share it with you in case you needed to take a break from pumpkin, apple, or whatever your standard Thanksgiving pie is. And if it's not Thanksgiving time for you, feel free to indulge just because it's a fabulous pie!

Mix together a pecan pie, a cheesecake, and caramel and what have you got? A diet busting, too good to pass up, amazing pie. I made it, fully intending to take pictures and then give the rest away. Of course, the photo shoot piece had to be eaten. And then since the pie was there, it turned into dessert for the family. Half of it was gone. Still determined not to have it hanging around I called a neighbor to ask if she wanted some. By the time she got back to me the next day, my family had whittled it down to a nub in the pie pan. So much for watching calories. We watch them. Then we eat them. But it was worth the splurge!

Caramel-Pecan Cheesecake Pie

1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup caramel ice cream topping*

Preheat oven to 375 deg. F.

In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, 1 egg, and vanilla until smooth. Spread this into the pastry shell and sprinkle with the pecans.

In a small bowl whisk remaining eggs; gradually whisk in the caramel topping until blended. Pour over pecans.

Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Place foil on top after 20 minutes if pie is browning too quickly.

Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before slicing. Refrigerate leftovers.

* I didn't have any caramel ice cream topping, but I did have leftover wrapped caramels from making caramel apples. I put about 16 in a glass measure with 1/4 milk and microwaved on low heat, stirring frequently until the caramel was all dissolved.




Happy Thanksgiving!

17 comments:

Anh said...

Lynn, happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! And what a great pie you have there! I will remember this for my Christmas-related parties coming up! :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Lan 'sakes I do believe that is the pie of my dreams, well after a regular pecan pie! Yes you are looking at some serious calories there but oh my goodness what glorious taste!
Happy Thanksgiving Lynn and to all those you love.

Peabody said...

Oh my, pecan pie and cheesecake combined...can you say a new size of pants for me! YUM.

Anonymous said...

Oh, nice pie Lynn. It does look delicious too. No wonder only a nub was left when your back was turned.
Quick baker thinking to use the caramels on hand too. Crafty and clever!

Gigi said...

I think my mom might faint at the sight of this. She loves pecan pie at Thanksgiving and I've never seen her turn down a slice of cheesecake. She's just going to love this! Happy Turkey Day!

Deborah said...

I'm not usually a pecan pie lover, but this looks amazing!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

This pie is just perfection in a dessert form, Lynn!

Nora B. said...

Hi Lynn,
Your diet busting pie looks too good to pass. I am sure that it was worth every calorie. I would have gladly shared the calories with you :-)

And Happy Thanksgiving!

x Nora

Aimée said...

I don't think a pie can get much better than this, Lynn. Looks like it will be a very happy thanksgiving indeed!
Enjoy!

Helene said...

I am bursting at the seams but I would be most happy to change for a slice of this pie....all my favorite combined! I am bookmarkig the recipe for this Christmas...if I can wait that long!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynn...those photos have my mouth watering! What an ingenious combo. Mmmmmm!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Caramel-Pecan Cheesecake Pie? How decadent!! Don't count calories during the holidays, Lynn - enjoy and savor all of your wonderful treats to the fullest!! :0)

Hope your Thanksgiving this year was a good one!

Big Boys Oven said...

I love your pecan cheese recipe looks so delicious!

SteamyKitchen said...

You've just managed to combine all my favorite sweet flavors into one dessert.

Oh there goes my diet.

Kelly-Jane said...

That looks sinful and devine at the same time! It would be worth a splurge :)

Anne said...

This looks to die for! I would definitely do this once an occasion arises :)

Mini Baker said...

yum yum yum! this will definitely be baked for this thanksgiving :)