Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bran, It's Not Just For Seniors Anymore

My all-time favorite muffin is definitely blueberry, but a close second is bran muffins. I've been making the bran muffin recipe off the box of All Bran cereal since I was in high school, maybe even jr. high. It's never been a fiber issue for me, I just like the taste of the muffins.

Interestingly, they recently took the recipe off the box and replaced it with pictures of smiling, "regular" seniors. That ticked me off. I had to go to the website and print out the recipe. Then I discovered they'd tinkered with the recipe, cutting down on the fat. I tried it and it's just fine, still a moist tender muffin, but it got me to thinking about how else the recipe could be tweaked. An extra banana lying on the counter got me started and this is what I came up with. A plump, moist, lower fat muffin that has harmonious fruit and spice flavors added. Mmm, just what the doctor ordered.

Banana Bran and Raisin Muffins

2 cups Kellogg's All-Bran cereal
1-1/4 cups milk (fat free is fine, or whatever you have on hand)
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 banana, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup raisins


1- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray, or line with cupcake papers.

2- In a large mixing bowl, combine bran cereal and milk. Let stand for about 2 minutes to soften the cereal.

3- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.

4- Into the softened bran mix stir the egg and oil. Beat well. Stir in the banana and raisins. Add the flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups.

5 - Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Best served warm. And if you're not into the whole low-fat thing, slather on some butter. Yumm.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious! I wonder if one replaced milk with soy milk sugar with honey how they would turn out. I'm allergic to both but eat them some times, however I try to substitute them out when I can.

Oh well! For the first time I'll stick with the original ingredients.

We're borrowing a friend's kitchenaid this weekend and I plan on baking lots of yummy things. :D

**doffs her cap and vanishes**

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Gabe - I think you could easily substitute soy milk in this. The milk is acting only as a liquid. I don't know about the sugar and honey swap, though. That adds another liquid item into the mix. Maybe if you added a little extra bran or flour.....?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry my pictures have been so uninspiring as of late. I think I have felt to rushed. The worst is when I'm doing something and you tell me to come out really quickly and get a picture... I just do terrible work cause I'm "not in the zone". We'll work on this.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures! You are awesome Sarah! Do you think I could use Raisin Bran cereal instead of all bran?

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures too. :D Actually I'm coming up with a scheme for a recipe card book that I'm making for myself of all the recipes I try and like and I am making recipe cards on my computer and I definitly love your pictures and I want to put them on there.

It will be like, see how yummy that looks! You should make that one. :D

**doffs her cap and vanishes**

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Dianne - I'm glad they turned out yummily with Raisin Bran. I'll have to try that since I've always got Raisin Bran around.

Gabe - What a good idea on the recipe cards. I made a recipe book for myself with a 3-ring binder and clear plastic sleeves that I can slip in a recipe when I print it out on the computer. But most of mine don't have pictures.

I'm making something just for you this week!

eatme_delicious said...

Thanks for directing me here! I will try out this healthy muffin recipe next. :) I love bran muffins.

Rachelle S said...

Hi Lynn! I found this recipe in a search, and made them. They were pretty good and the kids loved them, except maybe not the raisins, lol. This is a keeper! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I do not like raisins, so I put in 2 bananas and no raisins and the muffins were great!