Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Randomness

I have entered a cupcake contest over at The Middlest Sister. Check it out and vote. I'd appreciate it if you give me a sympathy vote because I 'd love to win the sweet prize package Libbie has put together, but if you chose to vote for one of the other cupcakes, I'll totally understand. They're way cuter than mine! Oh, sigh, me and my decorating skills. At least you can be assured that mine were delicious.

And now on to today's post!



One of the things I like to do when I'm bored is go check my blog stats. It's fascinating to me to see little dots on the map representing people around the world who somehow find their way to my blog. My own mother doesn't read my blog; what would someone in Thailand, Spain, Lebanon, or Denmark find interesting about my blog? Well, apparently not much in Denmark. They only stayed 0 seconds. Oh my, fame is fleeting.

Another interesting part of the stats I check out is the downloads. I can track which pictures are the most downloaded. I feel embarrassed about my lame photography skills, so it's a little ego boost to see if people like pictures enough to jack them. What was disturbing to me was that for a while this picture was leading the hit parade.



Really? What are you people doing with a picture like this? Making it your laptop background? Printing a poster for above your bed? Putting a framed copy on your desk at work as your pretend family? I find this a little troubling.

A current favorite download right now is this diptich my husband put together for me when I wrote the post comparing shoes and cakes.


He listened and paid attention when I was researching, comparing Jimmie Choos and Christian Louboutains. Thus it was that when he was walking down the hallway at work and spotted a picture of Christian Louboutains as someone's desktop wallpaper, he knew right away what they were.

He said to the woman, "Ah, Christian Louboutains!" Her jaw dropped open and she said, "Are you .... a fan of his shoes?" (Unasked question - "Do you have any in your closet and/or are you gay?"). He assured her that it was his wife that liked the shoes and she was relieved. Finding out a male co-worker has a thing for designer high heels - awkward!

What isn't awkward is cookies. (Yes, I'll have to check the archives, but that might possibly be my worst segue ever. Deal with it.)



Cookies are always appropriate - an ice breaker at social gatherings, a great way to meet the new neighbors, an appreciated gift that says, "I'm thinking of you!" Even if you have the decorating skills of a donkey (did you vote for my cupcakes yet?), you can whip up a batch of cookies that will brighten the day and bring smiles to the faces of the lucky recipients. And if a few of the cookies don't make it out of the house, I won't tell. You deserve a happy day, too!

Happy Day Cookies
(aka Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup dried cherries, chopped
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


1- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Adjust oven racks to the upper and lower thirds of the oven.

2- In a large bowl beat butter and sugars together until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat well.

3- In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix well.

4- Stir in the oats, cherries, and chocolate chips. Mix well.

5- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes, rotating sheets top to bottom halfway through. The cookies should be browning around the edges and the tops set, not gooey-looking.

6- Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

11 comments:

Fallon said...

I love carrot cake, so I gave you my vote!

Anonymous said...

Haha what a funny post. I loved it.

Voted for you.

Those cookies are Amarisse's cookies for sure. She loves oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They are her favorite.

hobby baker Kelly said...

Oh, thanks for the LOL! ☺ And I happen to love a simple cream cheese frosting and carrot cupcake! (Notice the order there.) Simple is good; I would never take the time to make any of the fancy schmancy ones and they'd probably be too sweet if I did. So yep, you got my vote.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Such a fun post. I check my stats every once in a while to see what interests people. My most viewed post is still the Salted Caramel Brownies.

Brilynn said...

Worst segue ever, or BEST segue ever?!
Cookies are probably my favourite thing to bake and I like bringing them into work for random "cookie fridays". I think they're the best way to make friends and ensure I'm not fired for all the time I spend looking at food blogs at work...

Lauren said...

Hi from regular Irish reader! :) I think your photos are lovely! And your killer crack peanut butter fudge... omg.

RecipeGirl said...

Your post cracked me up- yep, it's fun to see what the stats look like. Much of it is a little strange!

Personally, I like your baked good photos :)

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I always love your sense of humor!! :-) And your cupcakes look great; carrot cake happens to be my fav, so I just voted for you!

Melinda said...

Of course I voted for you! Out of all those lovely cupcakes, I am most likely to bake and achieve a good outcome from your recipe.
I haven't downloaded your picture. But it is a gorgeous one of you all. That is curious why that has been downloaded...? hmmm.

grace said...

while i always appreciate a good segue, i sometimes enjoy a really bad one even more. :)

Cindy said...

I don't love raisins but dried cherries I do like. This recipe looks delish and with fruit, oats and ww flour I could call it 'health food'!
Your cupcake looked so good I love cc with cc frosting! Fun post.