Monday, October 25, 2010

Comfortable Cakes

When I was in high school I'd amaze my friends and astound my teachers by wearing 4 inch heels. They were tall, black and spiky, and I loved them. Putting on a pair of outrageous shoes is the quickest way I know to feeling tall and sexy.

Unfortunately, I no longer wear those kind of shoes. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that most high-heeled shoes don't like me. Between having finicky knees, extremely high arches, and feet shaped like bricks, it's an exercise in pain to wear anything besides my everyday Dansko's or my workout shoes.

Cakes are kind of like shoes. There are the extravagant, over-the-top ones that you see on Ace of Cakes or on the Sunday Sweets section of Cake Wrecks. Sure, they turn heads and impress people, but I doubt that I'll ever attempt anything like that. They take waaaaaay too much time and effort for something that will be eaten in a matter of minutes.

Pump by Christian Louboutin, Cake by Marina Sousa of Just Cake


Then there are the comfy, everyday shoes of the cake world. The kind that you can serve to friends straight from the pan. Easy to make, bakes in just one pan, not pretentious or fancy, but oh so tasty. This is one of those cakes. You won't win awards with it, but you might well win hearts.

Apple Comfort Cake

Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Cake:
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (you can sub out 1 cup of the a.p. flour with white whole wheat)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups chopped apples (good choices are Granny Smith, Jonagold, or Braeburn)



1- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.

2- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix to blend. Set aside.

3- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the cake batter ingredients except the apples. Mix until well blended. Fold in the apples.

4- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the topping mixture.

5- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve warm or at room temperature. A blop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side is rarely turned down.

16 comments:

Jennifer Jo said...

Is the butter for the cake batter melted or creamed?

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Jennifer Jo - Good question. Softened.

Melinda said...

I love comfy shoes and comfy cakes.
Looks like a good cake to take into work and have boring meetings over. At least the cake would be fun!

We Are Not Martha said...

Oh, I love the idea of comfortable cake! I LOVE wearing high heels... But even more than that? I LOVE coming home and putting on my soft, comfy slippers :)

This looks fabulous!

Sues

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm not a cake person but even I really want this.

Abby said...

Just a good ol' Sunday lunch cake. My favorite kind!

kickpleat said...

Oh man, I've got apple cakes on the brain!! Looks delicious.

Zoe said...

The cake look very comforting to me especially with the brown sugar and butter that melt in the mouth...nice!

Anonymous said...

i "shoe" would like me some of this cake!

Katie Zeller said...

I do love an apple cake - comfort food perfection!

Anne said...

Simple and not too fussy bakes are more enjoyable to eat :) The cake looks yummy!

Elle said...

Never could wear those terribly tall heels. Always impressed by those who could. Some days I like the fancy cakes, but this comfortable apple cake is even better. I'll take a iece with some nice tea or coffee...and I would love to catch up, too!

CaSaundraLeigh said...

I bet that apple cake smells almost as good as it tastes..mmm!

grace said...

if ever i wanted to cheer a person up, i'd simply put on heels and walk around in front of her--it's a sight to see, that's for sure. :)
great cake!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I wore high heels too when I was younger- Now I'd much rather live in my comfy Keens. That apple cake does look wonderful! (and comfy)

Unknown said...

I'm loving anything apple nowdays, this looks perfect :)