Monday, July 6, 2009

Tall Man's Waffles



I need to clear something up here. In my last post I didn't specify how tall I am. Some of you might have assumed Me + Heels = Towering Over Date because I'm an Amazon. No, I'm 5'4". My date was maybe 5'5".

It's my daughter that's 5'9". (That's me, my sister, and my daughter.) How did I end up with such a tall girl? Easy - I married a man I could look up to. Literally. He's 6'2". I ended up with ginormous babies and someone who could easily reach the upper shelves of the tall cupboards. That is a plus, unless he's being a sweetheart and tidying up the kitchen for me. Then I end up cursing, I mean blessing him for putting away things where I can't even see them, let alone reach them.

I don't fret too much if it's paper plates or boxes of pasta that get shoved to the back of the upper cupboards, but my husband has learned that I'm far happier if I can see my chocolate stash. If I wasn't able to eyeball it, how would I know what's on hand? And how would I be able to make these fabulous waffles?

The recipe came in my inbox from King Arthur Flour. My husband wanted it so much, we had it for dinner. They were soooooo good! It's not the height of healthy eating, but it's got whole wheat flour, sourdough starter, and homemade chocolate ice cream, so as a very once in a while splurge, it works for me. Really, really well.

Chocolate Malt Waffles
- from King Arthur Flour

Starter

1 cup ripe, bubbly sourdough starter (made with equal weights water and flour)
1 1/4 cups cool water
1 1/2 cups King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour


Batter

1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup chocolate chips, semisweet or bittersweet; mini chips work especially well



1) To make the starter: Measure 1 cup "fed" sourdough starter into a medium bowl.

2) Stir in the water and whole wheat flour, and mix until thoroughly combined.

3) Cover the bowl and set it aside for several hours, or up to overnight.

4) To make the batter: When you're ready to make the waffles, whisk the dry ingredients in a small bowl; you may need to sift the mixture if your cocoa is lumpy.

5) Add the dry ingredients, plus the eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips to the sourdough batter, stirring to combine.

6) To bake the waffles: Drop about ½ cup batter onto a greased, preheated waffle iron. Bake the waffle until steam stops coming out the sides of the iron. The waffles will feel soft and tender coming out of the iron, but will crisp up on standing.

7) Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce, if desired. (Well, duh, of course you desire!)

24 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I just read that a splurge is part of balance!
Chocolate waffles and chocolate ice cream ... have I landed in heaven.

Jennifer Jo said...

I have chocolate malted milk powder---would that work? (I've looked high and low for plain malted milk powder and can not find it anywhere.)

Melinda said...

I don't know if I have told this to you before but...I don't really like waffles. I know, what is wrong with me! These I can resist, but everyone else would surely love them.
You are a sweetie to make them for your husband.
I don't make waffles.

Melinda said...

Forgot to say how gorgeous you all look.

Katrina said...

Yum! Those sounds great.
Great, fun pic of you!

Sarah said...

You had tall babies so they could reach things on the top shelves when Dad isn't home. See? There was a good purpose to us in the end anyways. But, we can't ever share pants. They swim on you and they look shrunken on me. Oh well.

Abby said...

I just posted about waffles, but you one-upped me with the chocolate! Awesome. I've gotta try these.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

My daughter is 5'10", but then I am 5'9" myself so it was meant to be:D

Aimée said...

Breakfast for dinner, you know I'm all over that.

Um, totally cute pic!!
I married a tall guy too, it's so handy when I need to reach those high pantry items! ;)

Wonder if my boys will be ginormous, right now they are taking after me in every respect.

Debbie said...

I think chocolate waffles with ice cream is a fantastic dessert. Wish I were your height...I'm 5'8" tall and don't wear heels...but would LOVE to!

eatme_delicious said...

Wow I'm really going to have to try those waffles! Yum. Great photo of you, your sister and daughter!

Maria said...

Love the photo! Beautiful ladies:) The waffles look so delicious, what a breakfast treat!

Kristen said...

Oh wow - I am all over those waffles! They look amazing!
I'm 5'9" myself!

Anne said...

wow! chocolate waffles! This makes me so excited!

NKP said...

I do love breakfast for dinner, looks totally decadent!

CookiePie said...

Oooooh - those waffles look fabulous!

My hubs is 6 feet and I'm just barely 5'4" - I was worried our baby girl would be shrimpy like me, but you've given me hope! :)

grace said...

i'm 5'5 and i'm absolutely attracted to super-tall men. all of my boyfriends have been 6'3 or taller. i don't know what it is about them. :)
meanwhile, i suspect i'd eat so many of these waffles i'd end up being 5'5 in the horizontal direction too. :)

Deborah said...

Those look absolutely amazing!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

If I ate those waffles and ice cream, I'd increase in size only in the wrong dimension!

LyB said...

Well, you're taller than I am! :) I know a guy who'd love these waffles for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Maybe if I print out the recipe and post it on the fridge door, I'll end up with a waffle maker sometime soon? It's worth a try!

Kasha said...

There was this show on the traveling channel that featured amazing fast food places and one of them was a waffle stand on the top of a ski slope somewhere in New England area I believe. Since I watched that I have been craving a waffle, but was so sad I couldn't go there. You have made my day with this delicious recipe! Thank you!
Kasha
http://grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Jennifer Jo said...

I made these for yesterday's lunch and while the kids ate them, even enjoyed them, they said they preferred our regular Farmer Boy Pancakes. Maybe something's wrong with us, but I guess we're just not fans of chocolate-y bread, yeasty breads (the only exception so far has been the Warm Chocolate Sourdough Cakes)...

Tia said...

aww... you guys look so close. you're all so pretty!

Stephany Benbow said...

Haha. I can sympathize. My husband is 6'3, a full foot taller than me. He's not too much in the habit of hiding kitchen things out of sight, but he does like to put up shelves and arrange the house for his hight, which means I can never reach a thing.