Monday, June 29, 2009

Hyperbole Cake


The "Ultimate." Isn't just saying that sort of throwing down a gauntlet? It's as if the one who claims the title of "Ultimate" sneeringly dares you to prove them wrong.

When I saw this recipe for The Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake, I just had to try it. My husband is a huge fan of lemon and pound cake. I have a recipe that he really, really likes, but what if they're right, and this one is better? I'd so be missing out!

I made the cake. We ate the cake. Verdict? Hmmmm, it might not be "The Ultimate," but it's sure up toward the top! Moist, lemony, and delicious. Can you resist trying it?



The (allegedly) Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake
- adapted from Lori Longbotham


2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 tsp. pure lemon extract
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice


1- Preheat oven to 300 F with a rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.

2- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together twice. Set aside.

3- Cream the butter and 1-3/4 cups sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the lemon zest and lemon extract.

4-Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1-1/2 hours, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes on a rack.

5- While the cake cools, bring the lemon juice and remaining sugar to a boil over medium high heat in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.

6- Invert the cake onto a rack, and remove the pan. Poke holes all over the cake with a wooden skewer. Position the rack over a baking sheet and slowly pour the syrup over the cake. It will seep through the holes and into the cake. Let cool to room temperature. Decorate with fresh or candied flowers (optional).

16 comments:

Melinda said...

Lemon cake? You are killing me. I love lemon cake.
I am glad this isn't the 'bestest' lemon cake you have had or I might have to make it!
So sweet with all the little violets on it. Cheers... from Rover (lol)

Katrina said...

It looks great. I'd have to really pretend I don't know about all the eggs and butter! ;)

Jennifer Jo said...

It's begging to be served with fresh raspberries and whipped cream. Yum.

Janelle said...

I love the idea of calling it Hyperbole Cake. That's a great name.

Unknown said...

My favorite lemon loaf is one by Pierre Herme and Dorie Greenspan
linked here
http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/recipes/cakes/lemonloafcakes.asp

A great technique he uses is to rub the lemon zest with the sugar first to really distribute the essential oils into the cake.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Great name Lynn! Since you aren't telling me it's really the ultimate, I can resist.
What I can't resist except I don't have any are the violets - gorgeous.

grace said...

i love that you broke out the term "hyperbole." i still laugh that i first pronounced it "hyperbowl" and my teacher laughed. meanie.
meanwhile, my favorite part about this is the flowers--nice touch!

Diane said...

Oh yum, yum, yum. Mama JJ - YES! although I do love the violets. Maybe violets to punctuate the cream?

breadchick said...

Love, love, love lemon cakes! Will have to put this one to the test...

The Blonde Duck said...

I like the little purple flowers!

Maria said...

Love the purple flowers. Great accent to a great cake. I adore lemon. I actually posted lemon blueberry cookies today:)

Abby said...

Pound Cake is the only kind of cake I routinely crave. I like its density! Looks lovely.

Debbie said...

I love lemon pound cake and the flowers make it look so pretty!

eatme_delicious said...

I'm so suckered in when somethings says "the best" or "the ultimate". There's something in my brain that just automatically believes it even though anyone can make those claims! Anyway this cake does look good. I love lemony baked goods.

jacquie said...

so which did you prefer? this one or the other recipe you mentioned? and what about the addition of blueberries to the cake? true then it wouldn't be a lemon cake but it is such a good combination :)

Peabody said...

It's very pretty. But I am wanting that pear bread recipe. It was awesome. I ate it all weekend long!!!