Monday, May 25, 2009

Au Pear


I find pears tricky. How can you tell when they're ripe? I've bitten into too many crunchy pears to trust my sense of what looks ripe for a pear. And what about when they start to feel soft and maybe have a bruise or two? Then they're over the pear event horizon. Take a bite and it's mealy. Euww. A perfectly ripe, juicy pear is a splendid thing, but a bit of a gamble to find.

When my daughter sent me this recipe and raved about it, I hesitated. Pear soup. Really? Soup seems so...winterish. And pears seem so fallish. So why would I want to make a soup for spring? Well, it's a dessert soup, served cold, and it's really lovely. Lightly sweet, redolent of pear flavor with enough wine flavor to make it interesting. And since the pear is cooked, it doesn't have to be perfect. Zero guesswork involved.

The soup is a snap to put together, so you can make it early in the day and chill it for dinner. For the lazy warm days coming up when you don't want to go to a lot of trouble in the kitchen, grill something easy and then ladle up bowls of this delicious soup for dessert. You'll feel like you hit the jackpot!



Red Wine and Pear Soup

1 cup red wine (use something you like, as you'll taste it)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 lemon
4 fully ripe pears (1 1/2 pounds) peeled, cored, and each cut into quarters
Whipping cream


1- In 2 quart saucepan, heat red wine, sugar, and 1 cup water to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar.

2- Meanwhile, with vegetable peeler or small sharp knife, remove two 3 inch strips peel from lemon. Juice the lemon and strain it to remove seeds.

3- Add pears and lemon peel to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, until pears are very tender. Remove the pan from the heat and discard lemon peel. Allow mixture to cool for 10 to 20 minutes.

4- In blender at low speed (with center part of lid removed), blend pear mixture in batches until smooth. Transfer to bowl; stir in lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate soup at least four hours, or until very cold.

5- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle cream over the top as a garnish.

15 comments:

Diane said...

Oh this sounds lovely! Did your little ones eat it - I am thinking this might be a "kids away, adults only" sort of thing. Mine wouldn't like tasting the wine??????

Elyse said...

You have me sold! This soup looks awesome. I can't wait try it out. I have the same problem with my pears. You just never know when they're right. But pear soup sounds like a perfect solution to that dilemma. How delicious!

Melinda said...

Interesting. I think I would like it and everyone else would complain that they don't like cold soups. My husband is very pedestrian about his soup. But I would love it I am sure.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Such a bad girl I am: You got me with red wine ...
So pretty Lynn.

Sharona May said...

Wow, sounds interesting. Can't say I have ever heard of anything quite like this.

Sharona May

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Sounds great. I tried a recipe for a clear pear soup last year, which was lovely. Red wine and cream, too? Yes, why not?

Debbie said...

The soup looks wonderful. I just love the colors. Never had any soup like that before and I'd love to try it!

eatme_delicious said...

Pear wine soup! How intriguing.

Anonymous said...

Sarah made this for Jonathan and I one night and it was so good it was gone in a very VERY short period of time. Glad you tried it out. So worth it!

grace said...

how unique, how interesting, how picturesque! and may i say, there's not much worse than a mealy pear, especially when you're expecting some crispness.

Maria said...

Such a pretty soup!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I can understand your hesitation, but after reading the recipe and seeing the picture, I'm all for it.

Sara said...

that sounds fabulous. i love fruit soups.

Karen Baking Soda said...

Gorgeous pic on top Lynn, I'd love to have that one hanging on my wall! (Pear soup does sound yummy too)

andy_jm said...

I found this, or a very similar, recipe in a magazine several years ago. Even better when served with half a ripe or poached pear in the bowl.