Monday, February 2, 2009

Bread + Cheese = Delicious


When I was a child I thought cheese was disgusting. I refused to eat it. I wouldn't allow cheese to pollute my hamburgers and I wouldn't even consider a grilled cheese sandwich. The first cheese that I actually tried and enjoyed was Milchkasse (milk cheese). As the name suggests, it was pretty mild stuff. I've gotten better, but I still prefer mild, creamy cheeses.

My husband is the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't know that he's ever met a cheese he didn't like. He adores bleu cheese, salivates for brie, and would possibly consider an offer to swap a child for cheese, if it was sharp enough. He even liked Limburger. His happy place is the cheese section of Whole Foods. I have literally seen him wipe drool off his chin when he's browsing there.

So it wasn't much of a stretch for me to figure out that the Crusty Gruyere Loaves featured on the King Arthur Flour website would make his day. I won't bother to give you the recipe here, since they've got it in a neat printable format with lovely pictures explaining every step of the process.

What I will do is tell you that this is delicious. I paired it with soup and it made a fabulous dinner. Melty cheese oozing out of warm bread. Does it get any better than that?

My only addendum to the recipe is that I chose to make the two loaves, rather than the 4 large rolls. The directions say to place the loaves cut side down on the baking sheet. This isn't really applicable to the two loaf options. I imagined a leaning tower of disaster in the oven and instead placed my loaves side by side, resting on the pinched edges. The two loaf option is tidier, with less cheese spillage, but not as visually compelling. But still delicious. Trust me on this. It's all gone!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so looking forward to Sarah teaching me how to make bread because as soon as I get relatively good at it I'm going to tackle some of your delicious bread recipes. :)

This looks quite yummy.

Anonymous said...

Lynn, this bread looks soo good! As a Dutch I'm fond of all kinds of cheese and living surrounded by farmers where I can buy real Goudse cheese.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Gorgeous cheese bread!! :-)

natalia said...

Lynn your bread is really delicious !aren't you partecipating in the bread baking day with cheese ?

CookiePie said...

Oh wow - that looks AMAZING!

NKP said...

I am with your hubby on this one! I love cheese.
Crusty bread with gouda - yum! Looks great with the soup, perfect for a snowy day.

NKP said...

Oops, I meant to type Gruyere - but who am I kidding - I would love it with any good cheese!

Maria said...

Delicious is right!! The bread looks delightful!

Brilynn said...

Cheesy bread is sooo delicious!

I can't believe I forgot about all the FotC food related songs... I'm trying to get tickets to see them when they're in Toronto in April!

Anonymous said...

I am with Mr. Craig. Cheese is pure magic.
It's quite the coy temptress nestled all snug in the bread. I bet that bread didn't last long!
(what is wrong with you? Not liking grilled cheese...really? I would probably give away state secrets for a grilled cheese sandwich. I suppose you would for a peanut butter and jam sandwich!)

Dewi said...

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more, that your bread sound so delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Sara said...

I agree, you can't go wrong with cheese bread. Yours looks delicious.

Peabody said...

Oh my, yes.
BTW- I got your package. Not sure when I will be making the cheese, but if it turns out, I will meet up with you and get you some. :)

Elyse said...

Your bread looks beautiful. Like you, cheese has grown on me, but as of late, I can't get enough of it. I can't wait to combine my love of all things carbohydrate with some cheesy goodness! Great pictures!

Lien said...

I'm also prefer mild and creamy cheeses... and my husband prefers the older the better!
Lovely loaves, bread with cheese always makes your house smell so great too.

Homemade Heaven said...

I love cheese and bread - any time, any kind!!

Debbie said...

What great looking cheese bread!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lynn, your hubby and me would fight over the cheese, because I love all types! That roll looks so good, I wish I could have a slice right now.

Aimée said...

'Cheese Bread' must be the two most beautiful words in the English language. That's what I'm going to say to my husband on Valentine's.

"Cheese Bread, Honey".
He'll probably close his eyes and say "MMMmmmm".

'Nuf said!

Abby said...

I'll eat any bread and any cheese in any form. So this what the perfect post for me!

Anonymous said...

Yuuummyyy!! Your whole blog is delicious! This bread looks tasteful, filled with cheese...
I want a bite!

The Blonde Duck said...

That sounds brilliant! Cheese and bread is divine!!!

Hallie Fae said...

Yum, that bread looks so good!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Wonderful bread! Cheese... and its adversaries of which my sis is one. We all love cheese in our family but the poor kid really couldnt stand to be anywhere near cheese.

Anonymous said...

Looks really tasty!!!

Tiny bakery said...

you make me so hungry at midnight!!

i love everything made from cheese ^^

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I love cheese, maybe I could say Velveeta is not a favorite but I love cheese just don't ever put any cheese on a burger and hand it to me.
Great bread!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm that bread looks perfect! I need to eat more delicious bread like this.