Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pie Time is Back


There is a lot to worry about these days. The election, the stock market roller coaster, and the travails of the honey bee. I know these things are troublesome, but in spite of that, or maybe because of that, I think it's important to have a break. Somewhere to relax, think happy thoughts, and eat pie.

Yes, in case you didn't know or care, tonight is the return of Pushing Daisies, my favorite fantasy escape to a world of fabulous fashion, intrigue and puzzles, quirky characters, and pie. Always pie.

Last season I took on the ambitious task of making a pie a week to celebrate the show. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for my thighs, the show was cut short by the writer's strike. I don't think I'm up for a pie a week this time around, but I'll certainly be working some pies into the baking schedule, and of course I had to celebrate the return with a pie. A pie I'd never made before.


A blue berry pie isn't out there, weird, nouveau cuisine by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that I've never made one before. I had a 1/2 flat of blueberries in my fridge and my son said, "Pie!" so I tried something new.

I used Dorie's Never Fail Pie Crust and her recipe for Blueberry Pie. My family was hovering in the kitchen while the pie was baking, drawn by the irresistible smell of baking pie. (Why doesn't someone come up with a perfume like that? Obvious answer: it would be annoying having to swat drooling men away all day long.) I was seasoned enough to know it had to cool down and firm up a bit before cutting into it, but it was hard work keeping away the eager tasters and resisting the siren call myself. Worth the wait, though, to get neat slices and lovely, dark blue oozy filling. None of the glutinous, nasty, canned filling here - this is the real deal, homemade blueberry pie. Worthy of the return of the pie maker!


Blueberry Pie
- adapted from Baking by Dorie Greenspan


1 double-crust pie dough, either from here orBaking
2-1/2 pints fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar, or more, to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
Coarsely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
Squirt of fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Egg Wash:
1 large egg beaten with 1 tsp. water

Sugar, for dusting


1- Butter a 9-inch pie plate. Roll 1/2 of the dough to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Fit the dough into the pie plate and trim the overhang to 1/2-inch. Roll the other half of the dough into a circle, 1/8-inch thick and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Cover both halves of the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you preheat the oven and prepare the filling.

2- Place a rack in the lower third of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 425 deg. F.

3- Put the berries in a large bowl and gently stir in the sugar, flour, salt, zest and juice. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes then taste and adjust the sugar and lemon juice, if needed.

4- Remove the pie shell and top crust from the refrigerator. Sprinkle the bread crumbs into the bottom of the pie pan. Gently stir the filling then spoon it into the crust.

5- With your fingertips, moisten the rim of the bottom crust with a little cold water. Center the top crust over the filling and gently press the top crust against the bottom. Fold the overhang from the top crust under the bottom crust and crimp the edges attractively with a fork or pinch with your fingers.

6- With a small, sharp knife, cut 4 slits and a hole in the center of the top crust. Brush the top with the egg wash, then sprinkle the crust with a little sugar to give it sparkle.

7- Place the pan on a baking sheet (to catch any bubble over - your oven will thank you for this step) and place the pie in the oven.

8- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for another 30 minutes or so until the crust is a beautiful golden brown and the filling is bubbling up through the slits. If the crust is browning too quickly, tent loosely with foil or use strips of foil around the edge of the crust to protect it.

9- Transfer the pie to a rack and let it cool and settle for at least 30 minutes before serving.

30 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

THANK GOODNESS FOR THE RETURN OF 'PUSHING DAISIES'!!!! I'm beyond elated/anxious for tonight's premiere.

Hooray for blueberry pie!! Blueberry pie is actually what brought my parents together: My mom worked at a bakery, and my dad would always come in for a slice of blueberry pie. One day, my mom sent a whole blueberry pie to my dad at work (since she knew where he worked after a few weeks of them talking), and they've been together ever since :0)

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I love pie too! I am my families official pie baker at Thanksgiving (and the rest of the year come to think of it).

There is just something warm and cozy about pie that makes me smile. I made a killer blueberry pie last fall, I have to go find that recipe!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

VeggieGirl - Your story is so sweet - thanks for sharing it.

Lisa - I hope your post your killer blueberry pie recipe!

Deborah said...

I have a pie crust waiting in my fridge at home - now I just need some blueberries!

Sarah said...

that is a good pie recipe...but i should totally look into the baking pie smell perfume. might come in handy! :)

Aimée said...

I've been thinking about pies, too! Must be the season. I can't look at an apple or a squash without thinking 'pie!'Homemade blueberry pie is second to nothing and yours looks like a winner. Enjoy the return of your show!

Anonymous said...

So funny that today I'm making pie as well. Apple in my case, but blueberries don't grow here.

The pie looks fantastic.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Looks delicious! I have to say I have never seen the show though.

Dee Light said...

Blueberry is one of our favorites!! Your's look fabulous.

RecipeGirl said...

I seem to be horrible with pies, especially crusts, but I'm still planning to enter the pie contest at our community's fall festival. Haven't decided on a pie yet, but I'm most worried about the crust. How did you like working with Dorie's recipe?

Anonymous said...

It is definitely not pie time yet here in LA... supposed to be 101 degrees today! Who can think of baking?

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, my dad LOVES blueberry pie. I'll have to make a mental note of this recipe when I actually have the time and supplies to do some baking.

**doffs her cap and vanishes**

Chelsea said...

We are struggling with whether to record Pushing Daisies and watch Bones or the other way around. Too hard! I have a pizza pie in the oven, but your pie looks delectable and now I am jealous.

Heather said...

mmmm i love blueberry pie! this looks delicious! and i love pushing daisies! i tivoed it to watch tomorrow since i was busy tonight. this looks delicious!

alexandra's kitchen said...

I love blueberry pie. I am sort of disappointed that I have let the summer pass without making one. i think i still have time. this looks like a good recipe!

BugnLVoe said...

Looks wonderful! :-)

grace said...

things that make me happy: blueberry pie (a la mode, if you please)
pushing daisies (specifically lee pace and chi mcbride)(for different reasons...) :)

great post. :)

LyB said...

Dorie's Blueberry Pie is actually the first pie I didn't ruin! Yours looks better though, that dark blue filling is so gorgeous!

Patricia Scarpin said...

This looks like the pies I used to see in cartoons when I was a kid. The ones put by the window to cool down (and then someone would eat them, of course). :)
Beautiful, Lynn!

The Teagan Times said...

My favorite show by far! Great post. Love your blog. I've lurked for a long time. Thanks for sharing your talents.

Maria said...

Oh how I love blueberries and I am sure they are stellar in this pie!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Who doesn't love pie? This looks excellent, and for what its worth, I've never had a blueberry pie yet! Looks like I'll have to wait until the next season...

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hi there. Thank you for stopping by!!! All your food looks amazing & inviting!!!!!! I will be peeking around s'more.

Anonymous said...

We really ought to try to bottle blueberry pie as a perfume. I am sure there are lots of gals who would love to beat men off with a stick. Do think they would pay 20 bucks?
We're gonna be filthy rich!

Oh yeah...I love your first blueberry pie. MMMmm!

Marysol said...

Lynn, I've never heard of Pushing Daisies, but I have heard of Pie. And particularly, Blueberry Pie! Hurray for Blueberry Pie!
Ok, I hope I didn't embarrass myself too much, but, the pie does look luscious.

elizabeth said...

that really looks like a perfect blueberry pie. it's making me hungry just looking at the pictures.

Peabody said...

It looks wonderful, but sadly I can not eat it...but I can admire it from a far.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I really do think that blueberry pie is my favourite:D

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Now THAT is what I call a real pie! And the solution to the world's problems, obviously...

abigail @ Paper and Cake said...

my motto has always been "any pie, any time". i have a serious pie addiction, not to baking tho, to eating :)

this looks delicious!