Sunday, July 27, 2008

Meatballs For Sher


It's hard to know what to say or do in the face of loss. When someone dies, what mere words can cover the treacherous swamp of emotions? What useless words can comfort a grieving heart? "Im sorry" or "I'll miss you" just seem so inadequate.

What a foodie does is cook. Food is the language of love, of remembrance, or appreciation. It is the tangible giving of the heart in a covered dish.

One of the Bread Baking Babes, Sherry Cermak of What Did You Eat, passed away suddenly on July 20th. She was funny, warm, enthusiastic, and caring and will be missed by all who knew her personally or enjoyed reading her blog postings. The Babes, to honor Sher, decided to make and post something from her blog. When one of the Babes pondered the question of what Sher would have made, the answer came back, "Meatballs. Sher would have made meatballs."



So, meatballs it is for the generous, exuberant person who challenged us to make the Poilane-style Miche.

When Sher gave us the Miche recipe, she broke it down into baby steps, making the whole enormous task seem possible. She coached and cheered us on until we had beautiful bread to share. The recipes on her blog are just as approachable. I chose the Turkey Meatballs And Sundried Tomatoes because they looked delicious, Sher raved about them, and they used sundried tomatoes, something new to me in meatballs. They were wonderful, and I told my family about Sher as we ate them.

Thanks, Sher, for the Miche, for the meatballs, and for all of your fun and snarky contributions to the Babes. We will miss you!

Please read other posts for Sher at Thyme for Cooking, Lucillian Delights, Living on Bread and Water, I Like to Cook, The Sour Dough, Bake My Day, and A Fridge Full of Food.

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

When I read that Sher had died, I was (and still am) truly saddened - her passion for cooking, and life in general, was so evident in each and every one of her posts.

"Food is the language of love, of remembrance, or appreciation. It is the tangible giving of the heart in a covered dish." I couldn't have said it better myself, Lynn. Wonderful post.

Katie Zeller said...

Meatballs... I'll never eat meatballs again without thinking of Sher!

Anonymous said...

Oh , how Sher would love these meatballs... They look so good.As are your lovely words for her.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The blogging world has lost a friend and a passionate and funny foodie. This is a wonderful tribute to her Lynn:D

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful way to remember a fellow food blogger.
I read Glenna's lovely memorial to Sher on her blog, A fridge full of food. I loved how their friendship grew through blogging! So nice.

Karen Baking Soda said...

"giving of the heart in a covered dish" beautiful words, beautiful tribute. Meatballs. Yes.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lynn, I will always link meatballs and Sher. She was such a dearie!

RecipeGirl said...

What tragic news. I've read Sherry's blog a bit and enjoyed her writing and recipes. How nice of you to post a tribute.

Deborah said...

What a beautiful post. I know her death shocked a lot of us - but I'm sure it was even harder for people like you who knew her on a different level.

I also made these same meatballs in honor of Sher. I think of Sher, I think of meatballs!

Debbie said...

What a lovely tribute. I had only discovered her blog recently but enjoyed it immensely...

Aimée said...

I had never read Sher's blog, but this sure is a sweet tribute you are all contributing to.

Kalyn Denny said...

A lovely tribute, and she certainly did love to make meatballs. I think she would like knowing that people are making them in her honor.

Elle said...

You mademeatballs, too! These soudn wonderful and I love your post. Sher would likely be so pleased.

LyB said...

Such a beautiful post Lynn. I unfortunately just discovered Sher's blog, she seemed like a very warm and lovely person. This certainly is a fitting tribute.

Glenna said...

Wonderful post, Lynn! Yep, meatballs. So cute and funny and such a lovely way to remember Sher.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Meatballs are perfect!
You've said it just right too Lynn.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.