Monday, March 25, 2013

You Think I'm Nuts? You Might Be Right


Insomnia sucks. I've been battling it for over two years. In that time I've had maybe a handful of nights when I slept through the night. I have no trouble getting to sleep (because I'm so exhausted), but at 2 or 3 am my brain goes into hyper-drive and the weirdest thoughts come out to play, pinging around in my brain like quarks in a particle accelerator.

This morning what I woke to was my brain having a conversation with itself. "What if, " it postulated, "you did a mash-up of The Hunger Games and The Dating Game?" "Yes," it answered, " you could have a group of teenagers fighting to the death for a chance to go out with..... Justin Bieber!"

So while weary me is just wanting to go back to sleep, my brain is planning out what The Hungry Dating Game would look like.

The volunteers (I'm unsure on the number - one from each state? an even dozen? ) would stand on their platforms around the cornucopia, eyeing the loot and eyeing each other. Would it be smarter to run, or should they dash in to get the goodies. And which to choose? The hair dryer? The eyeshadow palette? The curling iron (a lethal weapon, if you can find an outlet)? A safe bet would be the Prada backpack. It's bound to have some mascara that can be used to stab someone in the eye.

I'm unsure how the actual games would play out. There would doubtless be some horrific scenes of broken nails and hair pulling. But when the final cannon sounded, there would be one victor. And poor Justin Bieber would have to go out with a mass murderer. But, that's why his bodyguards make the big bucks, right?

Eventually I fell back to sleep, waking groggy and disoriented several hours later. At which point I'm bored with bed and get up to go do the Sudoku on the computer. And think about breakfast.

All week long we have eggs for breakfast. If you're a fat-o-phobe, it might give you heart palpitations to learn that I have 2-3 eggs fried in coconut oil every day, topped with butter. My son, when he's hungry will have 4, sometimes making them into an omelette with cheese. But he gets bored with eggs. So on the weekends I try to do something different. Today I'm going to make waffles. Lovely waffles with coconut flour and lots of eggs, so they're high in protein and won't give a blood sugar spike, followed by a carb coma. I'm going to make an extra big batch so that we can have leftovers (hopefully). Left-overs in waffle land mean (gasp!) sandwiches for lunch! My husband, the sandwich-o-phile, will be so happy.


Coconut Flour Waffles
 - adapted from Health, Home, and Happiness

1/2 cup melted coconut oil, butter, or ghee
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted or sieved
12 eggs
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (read the label to make sure there's no added sugar)
1/2 salt
1 Tbsp gelatin

1- Preheat waffle iron. Grease it generously with coconut oil.

2- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes. It will thicken as it rests.

3- Pour batter onto the iron, using a spoon or small cup appropriate to the size of your waffle iron. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.

4- Serve with lots of butter and whatever else you choose. If you want to save some for lunchtime sandwiches, allow them to cool draped over the handle of a wooden spoon so they don't get soggy.

11 comments:

Brooke (Crackers on the Couch) said...

It still boggles my mind that coconuts are considered nuts. I actually processed my first one this weekend. Walnuts are a lot easier. But I love these waffles. They sound great!

PTL0 said...

Sounds really good. Just out of curiosity, what kind of sandwich would be good with waffles as the bread? It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure what would work well on it

PTL0 said...

And I don't think you're nuts ;)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

PTLO- Waffles would work well for any kind of sandwich. It's just a bread replacement. I think egg salad or tuna salad would be great on it and a PB&J would be perfect.

And you don't think I'm nuts because you KNOW I am. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I made coconut flour waffle sandwiches for our family one night with avocado, lettuce, bacon, and a creamy avocado ranch dressing (from scratch!). Totally delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm going to try this version for dinner tonight.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Gabe - Drool!

Gluten Free Flour said...

You can either cut sugar cookies out with a cookie cutter or make drop sugar cookies.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

😃😰
😃because somebody else out there uses waffles like bread in a sandwich. 😰to here your Insomnia story. Love how you use quarks to explain it.

Elizabeth said...

Yikes! Now I'm afraid to go to sleep. What if I dream of the Hungry Dating Game?!

Your waffles look delicious. They remind me of roti jala.

Steph said...

Thanks for sharing this, coconut flour sounds delicious! I'll try this over the weekend :)

Unknown said...

I would like to try these. Even though I am not a big waffle fan. You are very clever to come up with some suitable goodies for the family to enjoy!
I have tried and tried to leave comment on your blog. Since we changed our email address it has blocked me out from leaving comments. I will try again....