Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Puffy Heart Puffy Pancakes

As the temperatures drop lower and lower, and the house gets chillier and chillier, a warm breakfast is something my family appreciates. Most morning that would be oatmeal, but on the weekends, I sometimes splurge and make something special. Recently a good friend gifted me with something delightful that I'd had on my wish list for a long time - an ebelskiver pan.

If you are uninitiated in the joys of ebelskivers, let me fill you in. They're a Danish treat - pancakes cooked in a unique pan that allows them to be turned over to form little puffy pillows that can be filled with whatever tickles your tastebuds, sweet or savory.

To break in my new pan, I naturally opted for sweet (that's just me). I found a recipe for Cinnamon Bun Ebelskivers and figured I couldn't go wrong with that. A pancake with a cinnamon bun inside? Oh, yeah, that's my kind of breakfast!



The batter is easy to throw together. Getting the right amount of batter in each well quickly is a bit of a challenge. A pre-measured batter dispenser would be helpful, but I don't have one, so I just scooped up batter with a measuring cup. It works.

Turning the pancakes takes a bit of practice. I've been told there is a handy wooden tool that's shaped just right for flipping them over. Again, I don't have that, so I used wood skewers. It works.



It's not challenging to make these, just a time commitment to be standing at the stove, pouring, filling, turning, waiting, and serving. If you've got a large family, you could be on your feet for quite a while. Or, you could be more clever than me and have your family take turns making their own. Either way, it's a treat breakfast that will be enjoyed and appreciated.


Cinnamon Bun Ebelskivers
- adapted from Williams Sonoma (who also sell the pans)

For the cinnamon filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 Tbs. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes,
at room temperature

For the pancakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for cooking
Powdered sugar for dusting

1-To make the cinnamon filling, in a bowl, still together the granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and, using the back of a spoon, mash the butter into the flour mixture until all of it is absorbed into the butter, forming a paste. Set the cinnamon filling aside.

2- To make the pancakes, in a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and granulated sugar. In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and the 4 Tbs. melted butter. Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy. Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter in two additions.

Put 1/8 tsp. melted butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan. Set over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well. Spoon 1/2 tsp. of the cinnamon filling into the center of each pancake and top with 1 Tbs. batter. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Using 2 skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer the pancakes to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and filling.

Dust the pancakes with the powdered sugar and serve immediately. Makes 35 to 40.

33 comments:

Maria said...

I need to get that pan.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I have yet to try those little delights - yum!

Nicole said...

These are so cute! I love getting new pans! I bet your family loved them.

Dolce said...

I would totally make these with a dulce de leche or nutella filling :)

Jessica Nunemaker said...

That pan is going on my Xmas wish list!

I love starting the day with warm breakfasts and I don't really do the convenience type foods...this looks and sounds so good!

Romy said...

Wow... a breakfast that combines cinnamon buns and pancakes. Talk about my idea of heaven!

grace said...

i've been debating getting a pan for ebelskivers for a long time, and i believe this recipe has finally nudged me over the edge. how amazingly tempting and delicious!

Marjoke said...

These look very much like the Dutch 'poffertjes'. They're a delicious treat and I'm already drewling at the idea of a plate filled with them.

Your's look just beautiful.

Katrina said...

Yum! I've seen those pans and it's good to get a nice (reliable) rating for them. Cinnamon sounds great!

Hilary said...

Hello Lynn!

My name is Hilary and I’m writing to you on behalf of C&H® Sugar. Everyone knows the holiday season can be a busy time of year, and we’d like to give you a head start on your holiday baking and gift planning by offering you a sweet treat!

Each week a select group of food bloggers will receive a $20 gift card to use toward purchasing ingredients to make holiday goodies and gifts. All we ask is that you make something fabulous from our website, and within a week post about it on your blog. Also, make sure to mention that you received a $20 gift card from us, to help with the expenses, and include a link to C&H in your post!

To help you out, I have a fun and inexpensive blog post idea for you. Why not create a Cookie Mix in a Jar or Drink Mix in a Jar, decorate it, and give it as a holiday gift—it’s not only a fun family activity, but it makes for a wonderful and inexpensive gift. Show us your decorative skills and tell us what you did to personalize it!

If you’re interested in participating, send me an e-mail with your full name and mailing address and I’ll be sure to get the gift card to you as soon as possible. I can’t wait to read your post to see how you spent your gift card and what delectable creations you’ve made!

Thanks!

Hilary
hilary.ratner@deiworldwide.com

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

For Lynn it would have to be not just sweet but it needs to be a double whammy ... a cinnamon bun in a pancake, I see how that's right up your ally. Now can I ask, could these get even more over the top if a nut meal/flour where substituted for the flour. Think almond or hazelnut or walnut ...
Gorgeous!

Abby said...

They're very cute! I always make a small batch of silver-dollar pancakes for my son when I'm making a batch of big ones for my husband. This would be much easier!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

When I was at Williams Sonoma in San Francisco I was eying these pans...you never know.

Unknown said...

Oooo...these look yummy! I have only been able to find the jumbo krispies at wal-mart.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - they look and sound amazing! I haven't had pancakes in what seems like forever. Now I have a craving!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Oh "poffertjes" indeed! And I bet we Dutch would claim their origin! Never mind which way they come, I'd love to grab a fork and dig in!

Debbie said...

They look adorable and delicious. What a great idea....I would like them with lingonberry butter!

The Blonde Duck said...

I would die for one of these. Puffy, pancake, cinnamon bun? YUM!

Melinda said...

I love ebelskivers!
My sister brought a pan back in the 60's from Germany. We felt very uber cool making them.
I tried to make them as round as I could. I don't think I ever got a proper sphere shape! They are busy work pancakes.
I bet you could 'blueberry up' that recipe!

Chocolaty Lifestyle said...

Wow this must be something super yummy! Such a great recipe to try! :)

Barbara said...

OMG. I have to get that pan and make those yummy ebelskivers!!!

CookiePie said...

OMG those look amazing!!!

Kathleen said...

I bought this pan a bit ago. I haven't yet made them. I'll have to try your recipes over Thanksgiving when my kids are home!

kickpleat said...

I keep hoping I can find this pan in a thrift store. I've always got my eyes open for one. I figure that buying used makes it easier for me to own something that really has one use. But oh boy, that one use looks amazing!

Aimée said...

Lynn, you are officialy the 'Pancake Queen'. Ho precious are these!

I've made the poffertjes version and loved them. These look like even more fun. Bravo!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll trade you meatballs for puffy pancakes.

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read the post. Thank author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

maybe said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

Lien said...

o delicious, just like our dutch poffertjes.... so good with butter, cinnamon and icing sugar. Yummy

CaSaundraLeigh said...

Gosh, I need to find that pan!! I am going to the Mall of America this weekend, so I am sure I can scout one out there! These sound/look amazing for annny meal :-)

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

Irene said...

How wonderful, I love these! Have just spent time reading through your archives - thoroughly satisfying, thank you!

eatme_delicious said...

I've never tried ebelskivers but oh do I want to!! Especially ones that taste like cinnamon buns yum. How fun.