Thursday, April 9, 2009

Luscious Lemons For Lazy Lynn



I apologize for leaving the same post up so long, but I was taking a mini-vacation. I spent 5 days with my sisters playing, baking, shopping, talking, and having so much fun that I didn't have time to put up a single post.

Now that I'm home I have to make up for time away from the family. The pile of composting bananas on the counter needs to be turned into banana bread. I need to catch up on reading and cuddling time with my kids. And then I have to put on a hard hat and grab a pickaxe and go tackle Mt. Laundry.

Instead of boring you with my chore list, I'll tantalize you instead with these scones that I made a while back. Luscious, lemony, and just right for a tea break in the middle of a busy day.



Lemon Cream Scones
- adapted from The Bread Bible by Beth Hensperger
makes 8 scones

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp baking powder
grated zest of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp salt
4 tblsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 large eggs
1/2 cups cold heavy cream
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar


1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or parchment-line a baking sheet. In a medium bowl using a whisk or electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Using a for or electric mixer, cut in the butter. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs. In a small bowl or 1-cup measure, whisk together the eggs and cream. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until a shaggy, sticky dough is formed.

2. Turn the shaggy dough out on a lightly floured work surface and knead gently, about 6 times, just until the dough holds together. Divide into 2 equal portions and pat each into a 1-inch-thick round about 6 inches in diameter. Using a knife or straight edge, cut each round into quarters, making 4 wedges.

3. Place the scones about 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake 15-to 20 minutes, or until crusty and golden brown.

4. Combine the lemon juice and confectioners' sugar and stir till smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm scones.

21 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

No worries!! Glad that you were able to enjoy a well-deserved vacation. But I AM glad to see you back, of course!! Especially since you've graced your readers with those scones - yum!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Hooray for time with sisters!
The scones are super!! Perfect for tea and/or coffee.

Melinda said...

Can't wait to hear some details.
I saw on Facebook your Hubby was missing you.
Those scones look excellent for tea time. Earl Grey or Afternoon Blend?
I'll be Mother.

Mermaid Sews said...

We all need a break! These scones look great, love the photo with the tea pot.

Jennifer said...

mmmmm... Lemon Scones

Anonymous said...

Lemon is so refreshing. I love scones and don't make them often enough.
Thanks for the recipe!

;)amy

Elyse said...

The name of these scones alone had me drooling. Lemon cream! How fabulous!! Your scones look absolutely delicious. Hope you get all those chores checked off your to-do list!

Sara said...

How delicious. I love lemon in anything!

test it comm said...

Those scones look so light and delicious!

RecipeGirl said...

There is absolutely nothing I love more than lemony breakfast treats. I have some Meyers sitting on my counter right now that would be perfect for scones!

Sarah said...

these look so summery! i love lemon.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the drizzled icing! So pretty!

Coco Bean said...

Ohh lemon cream scones, they sound so good! It's really sad that the cardboard they try to pass off as scones at places like Starbucks has ruined my love of this delicious pastry. It's not like you can get them anywhere else in Quebec, I may just have to make them to remind me of how great scones can be!

CookiePie said...

Lemon scones, so perfect!! I'll have mine with a cup of Earl Gray, please :)

NKP said...

I love lemon scones, the perfect flavour for tea time!

Anonymous said...

I think I might try making these for Easter tomorrow. They look so good and would go splendidly with a cup of tea.

Elle said...

So good to spend time with sisters! Wonderful scones! Lemon seems just perfect for spring. Happy Easter!

Peabody said...

Glad you had a fun time with your sisters! I got stuck with brothers, they are not as fun. ;)
Your lemon scones look scrumptous.

grace said...

one must never apologize for vacationing. never ever.
your scones look great, as far as scones go. the glaze helps this scone-hater appreciate them much more. :)

Karen said...

Thank you for this recipe - I made them over the weekend for my visiting mother-in-law, and they came out really great. The only difference is I used cake flour instead of regular flour - they came out with a really nice crumb texture - for some reason when I use regular flour with scone recipes they don't come out as well. Thanks again, I enjoy reading your posts.

Sarah said...

These little bad boys have been on my "to make" list for a very long time. Tip said that "scones are gross and dry" so I have to change his mind. He said that bran muffins were disgusting so I proved him wrong on that number, but next is the scones home front.