Friday, April 18, 2008

Missing You - Yellow

I'm not much into blogging events. They all look fun and interesting, but I have my own agenda of what I want to bake. But when I saw there was a blogging for cancer event, LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow, I started pondering what I could contribute. Barbara, at Winos and Foodies started this event last year. There were 149 participants. This year I expect there to be a much larger number as so many people have been touched by cancer.

My family was hit by cancer in 2000. My in-laws had been visiting for Christmas and my father-in-law was complaining that his knee ached constantly. After returning home he went to the doctor to see what was going on. My mother-in-law called with the bombshell - kidney cancer.

Kidney cancer is one of the silent, sneaky cancers. By the time it is diagnosed, it's almost always fatal. Only 9% of those diagnosed after the cancer has already spread survive 5 years. My father-in-law was determined to be in that 9%, his cancer having already spread to his knee. He fought valiantly for just over a year, have a knee replacement, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and kidney removal.

Just 14 months after his diagnosis he left behind the respirator, the IV's, and the pain and went to be with Jesus.

We still miss him. His quirky sense of humor, his love of gadgets, and his stories he loved to tell and retell. He shared a love of technology with my husband who convinced him to buy his first Mac. Now when my husband sees a cool new product release (like the iPhone), he'll say, "My Dad would have been so excited about this." Or when we see a goofy, funny story in the news we wish we could send it to him, as it would have made him laugh a lot.

My father-in-law was born in Hawaii. Even though he moved to the mainland when he was 16, he always held Hawaii close in his heart. So, when I thought about what yellow foods meant something to my father-in-law, I thought Hawaii. He had taken his wife and boys to a real luau on the beach hosted by a native Hawaiian lady for her 90th birthday party. There was 4 days of feasting and celebrating, and there was a whole pig roasted in a sand pit.



To commemorate a life that was about celebration, fun, and making the most of the moments, I made Teriyaki Pork Kabobs. Nothing elaborate, but something easy to throw together and enjoy with friends. I think my father-in-law would have enjoyed them.

There's not a special recipe for these. I just marinated pork loin cubes in teriyaki sauce (use your favorite), then threaded them on skewers alternating between meat and fruits. I used pineapple, mango, and yellow bell peppers for a taste of Hawaii.

27 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Lynn, I'm terribly sorry that your father-in-law was struck by cancer, and that you and your family have had to endure such a loss - cherish those fond memories that you have of him, always.

Your entry for this blogging event is quite refreshing, with the juicy pineapple; and a great tribute to your father-in-law!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but what a special way to honor your FIL. I had not heard about this event, but will certainly be looking into it as we've had a history of cancer in our family, as well.

Thank you so much for sharing both the "recipe" and your story.

Gretchen Noelle said...

Tearjerker. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I really should have participated in this event. I am ashamed I didn't. Too many lives have been swallowed by cancer. Family and friends that I miss and many patients that I have taken care of. I hope this isn't misinterpreted, but how you 'go' isn't as important as how you lived to me. I love to hear stories of a much loved and missed person. I love to hear stories of how much fun they were and that they can still hear them laugh. I hope this is said of me when I leave this world. That I laughed and gave love to others.
It sounds like your father in law was all that. How wonderful.
I love your Hawaiian tribute to him.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Terrific to be remembered with such love and care.
I am sure this man would have loved these Kabobs.

Helene said...

Very nice and heart warming tribute to your fater in law. What a nice and interesting man! I am with Tanna, I am sure he would have loved the kabobs, I know I do!

Mama Mia said...

Your skewers look fresh and tasty! Yes, I agree that it is important to make the most of life and to cherish each moment. I've come to realize how fragile life is after seeing so many people struck and affected by cancer.

Mama Mia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bunbungirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am sorry about your loss. That must have been very hard on your family. Your cooking is a great way to help others, and a definite way to show others love and hospitality! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I still miss him too. His cofffee breathe, with his hair that stood on end in the morning. The weird way he'd smack his lips when he was thinking about something, to the time he tried to ride my bike and almost blew out the tires.... Cancer is icky.

RecipeGirl said...

Nice memories. My Dad left us too via Kidney cancer, which spread to bone cancer. An awful way to go. My mother in law has fought ovarian and bladder cancer (thankfully she is winning the fight.) I hate the big C with a passion.

toontz said...

Cancer has hit so many relatives and friends, sometimes it is hard for me to remember just how many! But you just keep fighting with events like these. What a great memorial.

http://okaramountain.blogspot.com/2008/04/taste-of-yellow-and-memory-of-my-father.html

Emily said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of your father-in-law.
You really did create the perfect dish to dedicate to him. It looks perfect. I love tropical flavors.

LyB said...

We should all make the most of life but too often get caught up in our little routines. This was a beautiful post Lynn, what a lovely way to remember someone.

Unknown said...

Lynn he sounds like he was a lovely man. Thank you for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow and sharing a recipe.

Peabody said...

Sorry about the loss of your FIL. I think the kabobs were a great way to go.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your family's loss. He sounds like such a great guy.

Sarah said...

That is a beautiful post and I am sorry for your loss. Just so you know, I have "bestowed" to you the Blogging with a Purpose award. You can see it here: http://sweetsbysarah.blogspot.com/2008/04/blogging-with-purpose.html.

Neen said...

I agree with Sarah, this is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your memories and his story.

Deborah said...

Your father-in-law sounds like he was a wonderful man and is truely missed. Wonderful post and entry.

Kelly-Jane said...

Sorry about you loss. These kebabs sound lovely, and sooo yellow too :)

Marcia said...

Lynn, your story moved me to tears; I'm so sorry for your loss.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lynn, I'm so sorry for you loss. I'm sure your father in law is proud of all of you whenever he is.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is an excellent dish for the evebt Lynn. Thanks for bringing this event to our attention with your heartfelt story.

Susan @ SGCC said...

I'm so sorry about your loss, Lynn. You've made a lovely tribute to your FIL. I lost my father to kidney cancer in Nov. 2006. I know all too well what a cruel and horrible thing it is. Let's hope that this event can generate more awareness and interest in excellent organizations like LiveStrong.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)