Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor of Love

In the United States today is Labor Day. I never really got Labor Day. It sounds like a Soviet holiday which celebrates "the workers" which you celebrate by not going to work. In truth, it's the door which slams shut on the tail of summer and opens into the school house.

I used to dread Labor Day. We were not big shoppers, so the sales held little enticement. The only way to spend the last few precious hours of freedom was preparing for captivity and watching the Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon as a cold ball of anxiety grew in the pit of my stomach. Would I like my teachers? Would they like me? Was my wardrobe cool enough? Would I be able to understand the classes and do well? Would I be able to remember my locker combination? My recurring school nightmare for many years was that I was late for school, couldn't remember my schedule (which was different day to day), my schedule was in my locker, and I couldn't remember my locker combination.

Now that I'm an adult I'm almost free of the beginning of school dread. I say almost, because now I'm the teacher. I have been homeschooling my kids for 18 years now. My anxieties are no longer about what I'll wear (we joke that pajamas are our school uniform), or will the other kids like me ( hugs and kisses allay that fear). I worry about whether I will do a good job, whether my children grow up to be capable, competent, and kind and whether we can survive another year of math. In baking it's hard to know the end product when you're just stirring the eggs into the creamed butter and sugar and your recipe is very sketchy with no pictures. Raising children is the same. I just pray that God will fill in the gaps that I leave and trust that He will see my kids through to the end goal. In the meantime, call before you drop by. It's highly likely that at least one of us is still in pajamas.

So here is my salute to the end of summer and the garden's bounty, in particular my fabulous blueberry bushes and the beginning of a new year of learning adventures.

Celebration Blueberry Crepes

Crepes - I used the crepe recipe from pg. 233 of The Perfect Scoop (ha, you thought I could go a whole post without mentioning The Perfect Scoop?). It made beautiful crepes with nary a throwaway.

Blueberry Filling:

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup cold water
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the water until smooth. Add blueberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm while you make crepes.


11 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I too am puzzled by this holiday - for me, Labor Day is just a welcomed day off from school :0)

your blueberry crepes certainly look like a great way to celebrate the occasion!! Happy Labor Day, Lynn!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lynn, these crepes would make anyone's day better - they look delish!
I'm sure your kids are going to become great adults - with you as an example to follow, that is easy!

And Happy Labor Day to you - we celebrate it here on May, 1st.

Anh said...

Lynn. Another lovely post from you... :) And the crepe looks amazing, too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and beautiful crepes.

As for whether you will do a capable job - I have faith that you will teach your children all the skills needed to grow into mature, capable and well-rounded adults. All we can do is love and trust in what we do, and have faith that it will all work out in the end :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Awesome crepes, lucky you with blueberry bushes. I've been having blueberry smoothies for breakfast most mornings. I love those little ones.
Raising children is a learning adventure. Love the school uniforms.

Blue Zebra said...

Oh Lynn to this day I still feel the same way about the start of school and Labor Day! I also get the blues on Sundays because of going back to school! :D

I know you will be an excellent teacher. Love can do many things! Your crepes look gorgeous and feel free to mention the Perfect Scoop over and over again if these are the kinds of results to expect from using it!

Anne said...

You are truly an admirable person! Your kids are lucky to have such a caring and loving mother like you :)

crepes and blueberries sounds lovely!

Belinda said...

Blueberry crepes...how wonderful! And your children are blessed to have a Mom who puts such thought, care and love into each day of their lives. :-)

Kelly-Jane said...

Great post, and lovely crepes!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Veggie Girl - Well, a day off from school is worth celebrating!

Patricia - Thanks! You are so sweet.

Anh - Thank you. Do you get blueberries in Australia?

Ellie- Yes, it involves a lot of faith!

My Kitchen In Half Cups - Blueberry smoothies sounds delicious!

Blue Zebra - Ah, yes, the Sunday evening blues. So many reasons I'm happy not to be in school anymore!

Anne- You are such a sweetie. Thanks for the nice comments.

Belinda - Thanks!

Kelly Jane - Thanks, sweetie!

Amy said...

I wish I could wake up to those beautiful crepes every morning!